• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

OddFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have more that the one tank, tried to list them together - mess as a result, will do separate threads, linked here.
Any advice on improvement is welcome!

All tanks are subject of the next requirements and limitations:
1. This low end of the hobby: cheap, small space (height limit too), low tech (no means for a high tech), no place for a high-end DIY too. Can't say low cost after all what was spent. You get an idea. :roll:
2. No drilling and 2-level sumps, because of point 1, can't afford and can't risk.
3. Relatively low light, same reason. But with sun supplementation. :D
4. Here, where I'm, not much a choice to set a tank and fill it with what I want. So I went an opposite way, and bought what was interesting, available and affordable, and make the best possible (see p.1 ;)) accommodations for them. Some of them better to keep separately, and I ended keeping a few tanks, instead of one.
5. The smaller tank - the better. I tired to be a water carrier and cleaner, and have the trashcan as a centerpiece across the display tank. :( 5-6g are ideal, especially observable from the 3 sides, as the Nano-Cube.

Disclaimer: most are alive and well, including cleaner wrasse, non-photosynthetic corals, babies Tridacna and Christmas tree rock. Incompatible fish appeared to be compatible.

Would like to reduce quantity of the half-empty tanks,
re-arrange inhabitants in the more optimal way, still don't know how.

So far incompatible groups of inhabitants, kept in separate quarters are:
1. Large, relatively not reef-safe fish. Messy, requiring good filtration and skimming. 90g tank.
2. Non-photosynthetic corals, requiring high food density and good filtration with water changes. Kept in 6g Nano Cube.
3. Common reef, higher light, than any other tank. Most demanding inhabitants are: 2 babies T. maxima, big Christmas tree rock, purple-tipped anemone (condylatris?). Others - mostly LPS, few softies and some macroalgae. 10g, can be 20.
4. Large inflated LPS corals: 7" scolymia, 5.5 " cynarina, 4"+ Symphyllia valenciennesii (best guess). Planned for 90g, but too risky for an inflated single-polyped corals. Now in 4.5g shallow container, high light (sun), were and could be in 20g.
5. Sexy shrimps couple, because of the size and their safety. 2.5g pico. Would like to add them to any other tank, afraid that it will be the last time I saw them.
6. Temporary sponges tank, the last finding: ball sponge is much better at lower temperature than other tanks. 3.5g container at 76F.

All tanks are under construction all the time, until with your help I'll find the optimal setup and set them with permanent place, stands and plumping.

Now pictures.
What I have now:

90g tank for a large fish:
side sump 15g, filled 8" for ASM G-3 skimmer, fuge - 5g bucket:
90gsumpJan6_07.jpg

Nano-Cube 6g with non-photosynthetic and low light corals:
NC6Dec19_06right.jpg

10g mixed reef and 4.5g large LPS tanks:
4g10gJan6_07.jpg

Sexy shrimps 2.5g pico:
sexyshrimppicoDec12_06.jpg

Sponges 3.5g container (old photo, now sponges and macroalgae only):
Dec02sps_container.jpg

Already ready thread with 90 and 10g tanks specifications, is on the other forum. http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91647

Problems with non-photosynthetic tank is here: http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98706

Problems with 90g and 10g tanks (setup, plumbing and filtration) will be here: http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98732

OddFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other tanks, no more existing, on the way of trial and error setups:

20x XH with juvenile fish, that now is in 90g (hand is not mine):
food_18Mar06-1.jpg

Filter-feeders 5g hexagon, this setup worked well:
ChristmasTreeAugHex.jpg

hexAug26a.jpg

The fist 10g tank:
old10gMay25_06.jpg

5g quarantine:
old5gquarantineMay25_06.jpg

NC6 as it was supposed to be:
May6_06.jpg

1g feeding chambers for a sun coral, works, but heavy maintenance:
1gal_feeding.jpg

The last version, 5g hex and 10g united, was 20g long, until crashed due to death of some toxic inhabitants:
Oct17_20LRef.jpg

20LOct4sm.jpg

20LOct4Lsm.jpg

Oct17_20LRefa.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 11 tanks? 8O

Still very nice tanks! I love the sun coral. I want one BAD!

OddFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words!
You have 11 tanks?
Not at the same time. :D
In the last post - tanks, that were combined into bigger tanks, what is not always better, as practice shows. Small are easier to maintain, they are more flexible and more suitable for a fast problem solving and making different conditions for inhabitants with special requirements.

Now I have: 90g, 10g, 6g. 4g, 3g, 2g, +18g FW feeders tank.

Trying to recompose all of this into the smaller quantity of tanks. The problem is with different requirements, predation and physical size.
Can you help by trying to regroup them, as you see it reasonable?
I love the sun coral. I want one BAD!
No problem - they are readily available everywhere.
Some points, if you don't mind:
- buying before weekend made my coral less expensive, who could know?
- select fleshy coral, not the skinny one - more chances that it will do good,
- first feedings - in the shaded place (I covered container by newspaper),
- place it accessible for a feeding,
- feed it well - it become large-polyped and gorgeous;

- 3 choices in the tank setup, as far as I can see it now:
1. relatively large tank with inhabitants, picking after sun coral - could never achieve this in mine;
2. Small feeding chambers, as above, only with bio-media, or LR, possibly algae; water quality - by water changes;
3. High tech - equipped by serious filtration and skimming, and something for phosphate and nitrate removal.

Will be glad to hear other options, from personal experience too. Input is welcome!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with all the corals that you have. All I have is LPS at this time.

I've been told to keep your SPS and LPS seperate. Or at least far away from each other.

Thanks for the advice on the sun coral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: