polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
After a few years of system down time... I'm getting back into growing some coral.
This time around it seems to be more of a science project focused on coral husbandry versus everything else that comes with filling a reef tank.
I'll be putting up pics and video as the system grows.

Here is where I am.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
here are a few that I'm trying to grow..

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey Randy, One weekend for sure !

Believe it or not -- I've even still have a coral that I bought from Tony out in Long Island back in the early 2000's when we first met at his house.

Jim C.

Last edited:

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
just did these tests.....
well water supply in 470 PPM, post filters & membranes 12PPM, post DI 3
Temp 78.0
SG 1.027
PO4 0.02
N03 a tick below 10
CA 420
KH 10.2
MG 1470
PH 8.3

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Jim, Glad to hear your growing Coral again. You were the first person I bought a few SPS from. Beautiful set up. I remember you set up a big tank. I think you said you got a leak. Something about this hobby we can never get it out of blood. Glad your back into.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yesterday, I had the privilege to visit Andrew Sandler & Polo Reef. His tank is amazing
He had a multi person discussion about reefkeeping and lighting. He had the LIRA reef club there for the event. Also I had plenty of time to view his tank, support equipment, and quarantine systems.

It was a great time, I met many very important people in the industry.
IMG_6435.jpeg

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've been having some kind of issue with alge that I have never seen before

Not sure what it is, but I can't keep up with it. It is growing on frag rack, and over frags.
I have a handful of blue leg crabs in there

I would appreciate some input for a remedy.
I run RODI, and have very low levels of phosphate 0.00 ---0.03 and nitrates which I have been adding a liquid phosphate to keep a reading between 5-10 PPM
300 gallon system and I do 50 gallon water change every other week (reefcrystals)

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpg
    IMG_6777.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I stopped by a LFS today and showed them the video.. They said its ULVA.
I'm thinking I have to pull my frag racks and power was them. Also do as much as possible to get it off of anything else in the tank. I see it growing on some powerhead too. Im thinking this is going to be PITA job.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I stopped by a LFS today and showed them the video.. They said its ULVA.
I'm thinking I have to pull my frag racks and power was them. Also do as much as possible to get it off of anything else in the tank. I see it growing on some powerhead too. Im thinking this is going to be PITA job.
Hey Jim, do you think a 3 day blackout would help? Do you have a bristle tooth tang in there?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: