• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IamRobG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i started making the transition from the 58 bow front to the 125. So far i have about 80Lbs of rock and 2 tiny frags. All the fish are the same except I added a few more damsels. Here are the updates so far. Just so you all know i am trying an experiment here that most would not agree with.

I have the Fluval FX5 canister i'm running with this along with the Coralife 125 Protein skimmer. In the canister sections i have Carbon, Clearmax (to reduce nitrates and phosphates), and live rock frags for some more bio filtration. So far its been only 3 days and the levels are all where they should be, Ammonia-0, Nitrates-0, PH 8.1, Temp 79. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

<--Just started waking up from the transition from the store.

<--He's awake now. And what's the name of the frag behind it? I can't remember. I'm new to the whole coral thing

More progress to come.

kenny2064

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
lol i have the same equipment i have not set it up yet though how is it going so far keep me updated...i have the same tank and exactly the same equipment...also what lights are those you have i have found it is pretty hard to get lighting for this 125g tank they look like marineland double led or are they the reef ready ones

IamRobG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!

So far its been over a week and everything is going well. Skimmer is pulling out the usual nasty gunk and i opened up my canister and found almost no detritus material or decay. Cleaned it out, added clearmax (nitrate and phosphate reducer) on levels 1 & 2, level 3 is filled with live rock and crushed coral from my 58 Gallon. I have the foam filter elements on the outside. Levels are as follows.

Ammonia-.1
Nitrates-.25
Nitrites-0
PH-8.3
Calcium-440
Temp-79

BATT600-Yeah everything was transferred from my other tank. The live rock, the fish, i bagged some of the old substrate and put it inside the canister with the live rock.

KENNY2064-The LED's i got were from Tropical Island Aquarium in deer park. Its just a strip of blue LED's that gives it light and color at night. My main light is the Coralife 48" with moonlights, 2 10,000K ,and 2 Actinics. It provides plenty of light.

I have currently added Sebae Anenome, Green Bubble Coral, Toadstool Leather (i believe), another Zoo frag, a Fairy Wrasse and another 15Lbs of rock (pre cured from Mike at Tropical Island out of his coral tanks). So far so good. I will keep everyone updated on how this potentially expensive experiment works

Will add pictures tonight when i get home

Last edited:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
It looks good. I love the look of new tanks. Just a couple words of caution tho: Watch that Flame Angel. I had one that had a taste for Acans, Favias and Chalices. Pretty expensive snacks lol. Another is to go a little slower. I noticed that you had some ammonia in your last test, and then you added a bunch of stuff. You could be going thru a mini-cycle and if you get any trites and lose anything its gonna keep cycling and your gonna have a ton of probs. Good luck with it and keep us posted

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Nice!! It looks soooo clean! Awesome fish too. I love the red head solar fairy wrasse. I just lost mine cause I made a stupid purchase on a Bi-color psudeo that my wife wanted. It took out the wrasse within 2 weeks of being in the tank.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Rob,

Looking good so far. A few notes:
Fish are an issue. As stated, damsels and Maroon clowns will get very aggressive. Flame angel might start picking at some softies. I have no experience with the Foxface so I cant attest to what Dubs stated.

I think you need more rock, I would double the rock in the system, not right away, let parameters settle down first.

Your parameters are concerning....DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE for a while, let the tank settle in, and get established....Do a few water changes to get parameters in check ( I would do 20 gls at a time)
Tanks are a system, if you change part of the system, the rest of the system might not be able to catch up, or deal with the change. This is the reason you do things slowly.

I know you are addicted, we all are....but slow yourself down...it will save you time, money and livestock (which is also money).

Not to mention, Amanda will not be as pissed if you do it slowly and gradually ease her into things rather than forcing her into it at the same pace you are going.

with all this said, looking good so far, keep with it!

T

THEDLO

Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
tank looks clean and nice i would think about getting that foxface out if ur going try to grow any zoas i had one that munch on zoas/paly

i think that fish nipping is hard to call....i had one and it didnt nip anything, save for my nasos' fins...thats y he is no longer with me. but i believe that fish that are questionable when it comes to nipping is determined buy who came first. and example would be the six line wrasse, i had one in another tank, is ate every shrimp that hit the water, then one day it disappeared, couldnt find the damn thing anywhere (i didnt look to hard since i wanted it out). i took that opportunity to get some shrimp. a few weeks later while doing maintenance i lifted the hood and the wrasse jumped out of the overflow and into the tank, and i guess that time that is was back there reset its "batteries" cause it get along fine with all my shrimp.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
fish are an issue.

I think you need more rock, i would double the rock in the system, not right away, let parameters settle down first.

Your parameters are concerning....do not add anything else for a while, let the tank settle in, and get established....do a few water changes to get parameters in check ( i would do 20 gls at a time)
+1, I'm with Rookie 100%

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: