james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am trying to get a cut list to bring to the glass shop to get my baffles made for the sump.
I am not sure what they are called but I see some sumps with a tray that holds multiple filter socks and the water cascades down through them into the next chamber. How can this be accomplished in a glass sump with glass baffles?

here is a pretty bad picture for reference.
ddc8xv.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
this is my final draft. a quick review and critique would be awesome I want to goto the glass shop this weekend.

this shows size and location of the baffles for each section. the fuge will have an overflow drain into the return section

yry7y7a8.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I was recommended to make the return section larger so the water level wouldn't swing as much for my top offs. I may make it a tad smaller and make the fuge a tad larger.

Believe it or not theres barley any information on the web on how to make this style of filter sock tray. Im using two 7 inch socks that are 16" long sitting on a 10" tray. If the socks get clogged then the water will pass over a 2" lip and by pass the socks right into the skimmer section. The 13" baffle will keep the water level at 13" so the socks will almost be full submerged.

Besides that I "THINK" I'm ready to get some glass cut and try doing this.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Sump design looks good. You might want to get rid of the pipe flowing from the refugium to the return section and just use a shorter piece of glass instead. I'd worry about macro algae and other things clogging that pipe and causing a flood.

Where are your dosing pumps/calcium reactor setup going?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
the return section is large so I'll keep all my probes, floats and outputs in there. my cal reactor, dosing pump, and kalk reactor are all external.

I'm worried if I had the fuge overflow the drop would be too much and cause salt creep and noise. plus I don't want macro clogging up my return/manifold. I'm going to add a back up drain hole higher then the first in case of clogging.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: