Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Duke I hope things go for the better now

Yes Duke you should, actually its a must! or should be regarded so! Aquatic animals need to adjust to the surrounding environment, that is, temperature, salinity, etc...or they may not adapt and even die.
Acclimation time will vary, depending on the animal you are dealing with. Sea stars do take very long to acclimate, have a look here post n? 13 My Linkia Multiflora Starfish (
multipage.gif
1 2) and you probably remeber this one here reef safe star fish (
multipage.gif
1 2) :).
Below you will find more detaile explanation:

Saltwater Aquarium Livestock Acclimation

Acclimation Procedure Guidelines

Acclimating Corals

Acclimating Fish & Coral

Coral Acclimation Procedure

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Acclimation[/FONT]

I hope this clearifies your doubts

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
J,

I found with SPS and most other corals, temp acclimating is all that's really needed. I've been doing this for the past 3 years or so and see nothing wrong with it. I would say of maybe 100 corals I've lost 5 and it probably wasn't even due to acclimation. Recently alone I've picked up maybe 20-30 SPS frags and have only temp acclimated and lost just 1 piece, probably due to the freezing cold outside:eek:

For starfish, clams, and the likes take some more time.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
i float the bag until the temp is approximately the same, however i hear you should dip in fresh water especially with SPS do get rid of red bugs :splitspin

Dipping in FW is more than likely going to kill the coral, even for a few seconds. And I don't think it's going to kill the red bugs regardless. A dip in TMPCC or something of that nature is something you should do. Also know who you're buying/trading with and don't be afraid to ask if they have any pests.

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
IME difference in temperature can kill corals more than anything. And it's better to go from cooler water to warmer water than from warmer water to cooler water. Also after 2 frag swaps I've learned this the hard way. After temperature acclimate, only fresh water dip the discs/plugs/rocks that they are encrusted/glued on to get rid of other parasites and leave the coral itself out of the fresh water. Shake it a little if you want to get the unwanted hitchhikers off of the discs/plugs/rocks. Then dip the corals in lugols or interceptor mixed with saltwater from your tank (run a powerhead in there if you want to blow off some of redbugs after they come in contact with interceptor). Finally, don't forget to rinse off the solutions with your tank water before putting it straight into your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: