• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

caljah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just starting out with my reef tank. Today 1/15/2011 after months of reading and asking questions, I picked up a 90 gallon oceanic tech series reef tank and stand. Also picked up an ADHI sump. Next, in sump Skimmer and T5 6 bulb lights, hopefully I can find some used in very good condition. Recommendations?

Thanks for all your posts, it has been very educational and fun, reading. Looking forward to many many more hours of learning.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to Manhattan Reefs :)

Regarding thr skimmer & lighting, it is always a good idea to look in our Marketplace for used equipment. You can even post a Want to Buy thread.

Rather than try and list all of the good skimmers & lights out there, it is probably easier if youpost beck here if you find something you might want to purchase and find out if it is appropriate for your set up.

You didn't mention a ro/di unit, do you already have one?

Have you already decided what types of fish or coral you plan to keep?

caljah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Someone said they have this for sale.
Hi I have a coralife 48" 2x250 watt metal halide and 2 x54watt pc fixture for sale, or should I focus on the t5. What the difference? My tank is 48x18x24. Not sure what type of coral or fish I plan on keeping, I know that matters, but for right now I want to keep my options open.

Thanks

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Someone said they have this for sale.
Hi I have a coralife 48" 2x250 watt metal halide and 2 x54watt pc fixture for sale, or should I focus on the t5. What the difference? My tank is 48x18x24. Not sure what type of coral or fish I plan on keeping, I know that matters, but for right now I want to keep my options open.

Thanks
Welcome to the amazing hobby of reefkeeping.
If you're are looking for quality, I would pass on that Coralife fixture.

gennaro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Welcome... I just started myself about 8/9 months ago... I love it!
I started with a small 6 gal Fluval Edge, just upgraded to a 20 gal Elos Mini! lol :)
Never would have been able to do it without this amazing, helpful forum!!!

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One thing to keep in mind when buying equipment such as lights, pumps, skimmers etc is energy efficency. Must bang for the electrical buck. I neglected to do this when putting my 220 together and killed my electric bill! I'd definately stick to T5 lighting as you plan. I invested heavy in metal halides and they are energy pigs IMO.

Welcome to the hobby & MR!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Nice to see someone researching before they get into the hobby.

TEK lights are great but make sure you get the elite. It has cooling fans the other models don't. The passive cooling has been problematic for some.
Overall a great light.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: