tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i recall skimming through some articles (from rc?) on the "ineffectiveness" of small daily water changes for reducing nutrients vs. single event weekly water change of equal amount of water.

example: 300 gallons total volume. 35 gal. change weekly. phos. at 0.09( hanna meter) and nitrate at 15(american marine nitrate monitor)

using the genesis auto water changing system which exchange water 1 gallon at a time to change 5x a day for 7 days vs. single change of 35 gal. every sunday.

could someone mathematically show the dilution rate at the end of 7 days? which method would reduce the phos and nitrates more effectively?
(lets not include the unknown variable of daily additional accumulation of phos. and nitrates.)

it seems to me the single change of 35gal. would dilute the nutrients much more effectively than 35 gal. at 1 gal. at a time /5x a day /7 days in a row. i don't know how to do the calculations but took an educated guess.

thanks, tom

Last edited:

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Tooth the 35 gal change at once is best however the 5x per day is not that far off. I read that article andI decided to do the x amount of gallons per day. if I find the link I will PM it to you.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php#13

"Slightly less efficient"

A 30% is = to 26% if done continuous.

I just finished programming my controller to do my change continuously. There are other benefits to continuous..less stressful change, easier maintenance (thus more frequent).

I remember reading a long forum thread that had the formulas for the dilution, etc. but never bookmarked it.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I just finished programming my controller to do this. Very little chance of overflowing the tank. It goes like this...

Setup SW refill pump relay as an ATO port. I reuse my reactor pump to drain water out of the tank into a bucket. I set this on a timer to fill a bucket (~3-4 minutes). The SW refills as the reactor drains and my return is still going so everything mixes well.

I did the first test this weekend, and the results were great! Side benefit were rinsing my new GFO at the same time! I still need to fine tune the timings, but very happy so far. I can't wait formu next WC.

My next BRS order, I'm ordering a tee and some ball valves so I can have the setup all plumbed up and ready to go.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: