Rating - 100%
9   0   0
At least I believe it is Aptasia...I will post a picture. I know there are many answers to this general question but as I have an empty tank I was hoping it would be easier for me to COMPLETELY eradicate them since I can do whatever is necessary without harming any creatures (besides the Aptasia that is!). Many solutions I have read online suggest methods that can't be done because of that reason, so I am hopeful there is another way. Any feedback would

The background story of the tank in case it will help: I decided to cycle my tank with dry rock from one of the sites...maybe reefrocks? It was a little while ago. I did this to specifically avoid having anyyyy pests in the new system.

Well sometime during my cycling I got some live rock from someone and when I ran out of space in the tank I was putting it in I decided to temporarily store a piece or two in the new cycling tank. I quickly realized I was an idiot and ran to take it out, but by then it had probably been there for a little while.

The cycle was probably done in January, but the tank sat there until around mid-March when I began to get ready to use it. I threw another piece of shrimp in and have been testing the water. Today it was ready and I threw on the lights and there they were. I am thinking they are using the nutrients from the shrimp to grow. It also explains my weird cycle. I am very sad and hope you can help!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Pictures

Pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Awesome!

Ah wow really!! That is great news! And thank you very much for your quick response. I had been really bummed the last hour or so. At least now I know everything I need to know about aptasia (except what it looks like apparently)!

How would you say it got there? From the dry rock somehow or during the brief period live rock was in there a few months ago (with probably not much of a food source...)?

Thanks again!:birthday:

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
I thinks it's a pinapple sponge
But it can also be a bleached out aptasia. I have a few
In my sump. If u find out its aptasia throw some
Peppermint shimp in, I havent seen any aptasia since
I did.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: