yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Does anyone run bio-pellets on a small (20g and under) tank?

I have a 16G IM tank. Recently, I purchased the IM mini media reactor. I have media basket's that hold carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about running bio pellets in the reactor.

Good idea? Bad idea?

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Why not add it to an established tank? Curious bc I did on my 14g.

i added biopellet to my established tank and it caused a major disaster. in a small water volume a small change of chemistry will throw stuff off. nothing against biopllets, i have great success with it in my other system that start with biopelet.

just my .02

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i added biopellet to my established tank and it caused a major disaster. in a small water volume a small change of chemistry will throw stuff off. nothing against biopllets, i have great success with it in my other system that start with biopelet.

just my .02

+1. No reason that you can't add biopellets into an established tank, just make sure you do it very slowly in a nano tank. Small water volume, small surface area for bacteria repopulation, and a big change in the bio chem of a nano will cause bad things to happen in your tank if you start off with the recommended dose on a nano.

Maybe you might get lucky and a full dose won't kill your tank but better to start off at half recommended with a bacteria addative and then add more pellets after 3 weeks and every week after until the 8 week mark.

ALSO, make sure you have a good enough skimmer on your nano tank to effectively pull out the waste from the pellets.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: