findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristleworm.jpg

Photo by Marc Levenson
I have research a worm a saw last night it turn out to be a bristle worm , some web site say their ok other that their bad whats ur opinion???

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOT BADMelev's ID page[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bristleworms are blamed for everything negative that occurs in reef tanks, but they are actually very good clean up detrivores. Count on them to find excess food missed by your fish, and expect to see many of them at night with a flashlight. They are often found on decaying matter, and thus are blamed rather than praised for keeping the tank clean. Reef-safe! [/FONT]​
The name "bristleworm" is a label loosely applied to describe all Polychaete class marine worms, but it is members of the Fireworms Amphinomidae family that have earned the name of being what most aquarists consider to be "true" bristleworms.​
Primarily it is the Pherecardia (Pacific), Hermodice (Caribbean), and other related species that one needs to be concerned about. These Fireworms are errant (roving) carnivores that can cause much damage in a reef tank. They bare toxic bristles on their bodies that can inflict a sting of a very painful degree, posses strong jaws for feeding, and can reproduce quite rapidly.​
They are not selective about what they eat, but usually prey on all types of other motile (moving) and sessile (attached or stationary) invertebrates, such as corals, crustaceans, mollusks, sedentary type as well as other errant type bristleworms. zSB(3,3)<H1>Bad Type Bristleworms Control</H1>
<H2>Ways to Prevent and Remove Infestations</H2>Preventative Measures
<B>

Fireworms are typically introduced into an aquarium by hitchhiking in on live rock, so taking the time to inspect all new pieces of live rock for these animals before placing it into your aquarium is the first step in preventing an infestation. By laying the rock out on newspaper, a sheet of plastic or linen, if any of these worms are present you will see them sticking out of or crawling around on the rock. Take tweezers and carefully grab the worm as close to the base of the body as you can see sticking out, then gently wiggle and pull it out.
  • Tip: It is advised to always wear a pair of gloves of some kind when dealing with Fireworms to avoid coming into contact with their stinging bristles.
Simple Removal Methods
  • Remove them by hand using tweezers or a net when you see them.
  • Buy a bristleworm trap, or make your own.
  • Use a baited nylon stocking.
  • Introduce a natural predator of these worms into the aquarium, such as a Dottyback, Wrasse of the Halichoeres family, Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius), Maori Wrasse (Cheilinus oxycephalus), Sunset Wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens), Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) or Arrow Crab (Stenorhynchus setrcornis). Tip: Although the last option is very popular, caution is advised.
  • Severe Infestation Solution
Although this problem is not likely to occur if the worms are removed when found, if your aquarium is overwhelmed by a severe bad type, or even a beneficial type bristleworms infestation, such as with those of the Eurythoe genus, you can quickly reduce the population by cleaning up the substrate and rocks. Here is what you can do.
  • Only remove small portions of the aquarium substrate at a time and either:
    • Spread it out on a plastic sheet, then sieve through the media by hand and pick the worms out using tweezers.
    • Place the substrate in a plastic container partially filled with saltwater, and stir it around. The worms should come up from the media each time this is done and be in the water portion of the container where they can be scooped out. A fine meshed fish net works well for this.
  • Remove the rocks one at a time and follow the rock cleaning procedure outlined under the "Preventative Measures" section above.
  • Tip: Whenever working with live substrate media and rocks in the open air, it is best to keep it moist, which can be done by using a spray bottle filled with saltwater to dampen it.
  • bristlewormpickeoki_238x160.JPG
  • This is the one I have.
</B>

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
It can go either way. Majority of them are generally beneficial like Melev said. These common ones do not eat corals and are reef safe.

There are a few species which are bad and even deadly if they stung you. Generally these are rare. Also, certain worms may grow huge and may also eat corals.

Conclusion : it can be a hit or miss, majority of cases, I would say they're fine to have, but might sting you if you handle the rocks.
If you have too many, you're probably overfeeding the tank

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
IMO they are good, as long as you don't touch them. I have had many a swollen finger from picking up the wrong rock.

They act to scavange the tank for debris/missed food.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
BTW, I think that the article saying they are bad is out of date.

They are not selective about what they eat, but usually prey on all types of other motile (moving) and sessile (attached or stationary) invertebrates, such as corals, crustaceans, mollusks, sedentary type as well as other errant type bristleworms.
I have seen no evidence of this based on my first hand observations. Usually they "prey" (wrong word) on dead/dying creatures.

The rule with bristle worms is "DON'T TOUCH THEM!".

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I had a couple of the one you pictured. and they are GOOD in my opnion.

I don't recommend you giving them a kiss tho :)
And now that you know they're in your tank...I recommend you using gloves when moving rocks or any pieces with lots of crevices.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Ok Im freaking out i dont want that thing getting near my hand even with gloves, can I buy something to eat it?
You could get a wrasse (dragon)! But I will defer to the more knowledgeable fish experts on what may eat them.

HOWEVER, you should not be freaking out over bristle worms. They are harmless, but like a cactus you shouldn't touch it. And even if you do the bristles are less severe than a mosquito bite. There are much more dangerous critters in peoples tanks, i.e. zoanthids for example.

findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhhhhh ok its just that I dont like worms period thats my phobia and knowing that they cant hurt makes it worst. I wont be able to put my hand in there.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
You could get a wrasse (dragon)! But I will defer to the more knowledgeable fish experts on what may eat them.

HOWEVER, you should not be freaking out over bristle worms. They are harmless, but like a cactus you shouldn't touch it. And even if you do the bristles are less severe than a mosquito bite. There are much more dangerous critters in peoples tanks, i.e. zoanthids for example.

Even though Dragon wrasse usually do eat bristle worms but they are aggressive fish and will limit your choice of other community fish. Of course if your tank is an agressvie one, then it's all fine.

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok Im freaking out i dont want that thing getting near my hand even with gloves, can I buy something to eat it?

lol...you remind me of my girlfriend when she found her first one. She was freakin out more than you are. But now...when we see one in either her tank or mine...we just ignore it or we go like "hey there goes another one"

don't worry about it, I rmemeber reading somewhere that bristle worms somehow bring down nitrate

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I had a rather large one (maybe 10" long??) and pretty thick... it ate almost all of my zoos and all of my shrooms..

I know this to be the cause of the losses as I woke up one morning, saw this huge thing in my tank, took it out, and things in my tank went back to normal.

My worm could have been one of those bad ones- I didn't get a pic of it...it was from rock from the Florida Coast.

My theory is this- the worm was HUGE for my 16g... there probably was not enough detrius and crap for it to live off of- so it went to the next best thing- my softies!

findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jajaj I am freaking out I dont want them in my tank, Ive seen at least 5 one thicker than the others. I wish I could take them out but I dont want to take my live rock out of the tank to try to look for them so I guess I have to wait to see if i could catch them in the future :( .

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
they are faster than you think- i got very lucky w/ that huge one...maybe because he was so big he was slow..

they sell bristle worm traps if you are worried- other wise they hide deep in the rock and i think you would have a hard time unless you dip in RO/DI water for a while..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: