jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

I just saw a 104th street wholesaler listing "Captive conditioned" yellow tangs. I understand the idea behind this, but wanted to know what the criteria for this is - held for a week and purged, grown from post-meta fish or what?

Thanks,

Jay

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, it's like captive raised that some are selling. There are no standards for anyone to follow, thus it is open to all sorts PR and adverting. Even captive reared is an open word. You see something listed as tank rear, tank raised, captive raised and such and you have no idea if they are wild or cultured. Cultured in a closed system or open.

At least they are using the word "conditioned" and not raised.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - you need to ask the user of the phrase what it means to them.

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales,

Ahh, but that is the problem - if I ask them, I'll get the salesperson's pat answer. This was just a new term for me; it was used on the PL as if the reader would know what it meant, so I just figured that it was a set procedure being used on certain fish coming out of Hawaii.

Jay

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha Jay. I actually just wrote an article that in part talks about this very issue. You have to make the decision about the salesperson and what they are saying. Its really too bad that the state of the industry is that its essentially the old west with no oversight. :D

Rich

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":1ft1inrq said:
I gotcha Jay. I actually just wrote an article that in part talks about this very issue.

Another installment of Skeptical Cat is Skeptical?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":739bl0wq said:
Thales":739bl0wq said:
I gotcha Jay. I actually just wrote an article that in part talks about this very issue.

Another installment of Skeptical Cat is Skeptical?

Indeed! Looking forward to the next few too - ethics and justifications, scientificalness...

PM coming your way!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you say who it is just maybe one of us that knows those companies might be able to get more then a sales pitch Jay :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: