KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The biggest issue I've heard (from a friend who made most of his own LR) is it needs to be cured for a long, long time (months!)- outside of a tank and with constant water changing - to get the pH to drop. Part of one of the ingredients is lime which has an extremely high pH. It also tends to crumble in time if you do not use the correct mix of ingredients.

Otherwise - it's a great way to make the shapes you desire :)

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The biggest issue I've heard (from a friend who made most of his own LR) is it needs to be cured for a long, long time (months!)- outside of a tank and with constant water changing - to get the pH to drop. Part of one of the ingredients is lime which has an extremely high pH. It also tends to crumble in time if you do not use the correct mix of ingredients.

Otherwise - it's a great way to make the shapes you desire :)
yes very true Kathy i had mines with a heater and a powerhead for about a month and a half testing for Ph till it dropped to the same ph level that it was before adding the rock to the bin ...It also depends how much rock you are talking about the more rock the more time...But if you have a big system it wouldn't effect if you was placing 1 or 2 DIY Rocks after a week of curing..

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I think Simon had a post in here about how to make it.

Very detailed where you mix rock salt in the slurry. When you place it in water the rock salt dissolves and leaves thousands of cavities for bacteria.

Then you start the curing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: