bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I want to do some aquascaping using nylon rods a la Marco Rocks - can I use a standard masonry drill bit to drill holes in live rock or is the rock too brittle and just shatter when drilled? Anyone with experience, kindly kick in your 2 cents - thx.

Last edited:

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
hey, i recently used a screwdriver and hammer and the way the screwdriver went into the rock would probably be perfect for creating wholes in the rock for you. Maybe give that a shot!
Best luck and look forward to seeing it

Cooper

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I can try that on a test piece but I dont think I would get that tight a fit without a drilled hole. Also, when people use the treaded rods, do you use epoxy as well or just the rods and nuts? Thx again.

kris

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I used standard masonary bits for the exact same purpose.
Start with a smaller bit to make a pilot hole and you'll be fine.
Do a search and check out JHale's excellent thread detailing his.

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jhales thread was very helpful. I used a 1/2" masonry bit and an electric drill and it went through the rock very easily. I would use the nylon rods Marco sells since you can screw them down with washers and nuts, but they werent available so I used acrylic rods. Its a pretty easy process, but make sure you use an old cutting board or something or you'll have holes in your floor (ask me how I know).

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Where can I find Jonathan's thread? I tried searching this forum for "aquascaping" and "nylon threads" before I posted this so that I didn't have to re-invent the wheel. Thx.

- Eric

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
hey, i recently used a screwdriver and hammer and the way the screwdriver went into the rock would probably be perfect for creating wholes in the rock for you. Maybe give that a shot!
Best luck and look forward to seeing it

Cooper

Careful if you use the chisel technique I broke a nice cave because I didn't like this piece sticking out so I tried chiseling it off and the rock broke.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: