• Neither

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Which one of these angels is a better looking fish and is more suitable for a reef aquarium.
A pair of Watanabe Angel or Bellus Angel.

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Both fish are Genicanthus Sp., are particulary well suited for a reef (i.e. reef safe).

Whether one is "better looking" than the other is a matter of preference.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
IMO the female bellus is nicer than the female watanabei, but the male watanabei is nicer than the male bellus:) You are going to be hard pressed to find healthy males of either, particularly the watanabei.

I would double check, (I am more familiar with Genecanthus Lamarcks) but if you add two females one of them should change sex.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Well, I have a single female in one system, love her and she bothers nothing. I also have pair of Watanabei in the main system that are spectacular and also bother nothing. The male watanabei has a very poor record in captivity and the fact that I have a good one after several attempts is very much the happy exception. If you want to try one, I'd spend top dollar at a place like GA where they know how to condition these fish and ths lessen the risk. Even they have limited success though.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Don't thank me, I spend to much time placing caveats around the information that I give. "I would double check but...." ... its a "matter of preference"... etc. etc.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
After some good advise from the Mr crew and seeing these fish with my own eyes this is the conclusion i came to.
I really like the look of the bellus female but was not crazy about the look of the male. and i was really impressed with the look of both male and female of the Watanabe angel so i bought two females (1 bellus and 1 Watanabe) today and will be picking up a male Watanabe next week. wish me luck and thanks to everyone who replied, Two the both of you, muchas gracia. I will post pics of both in a bit

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
well here are some bad out of focus pics for ya

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03160.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I got to tell you I love the Genacanthus angels. One of the most underrated fish in my book.

Beautiful watanabe. Well need a nice pic once they settle in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: