skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Well here is where I see an issue...

What he wants and what he will get are 2 different things.

- Wants a decent AIO with better components.
Go and purchase an Elos... Better components/Quality = Expensive

- Wants equipment that works in his budget
Don't purchase an AIO and build a system yourself that way you can customize your preference the way you want it, and not the way a manufacturer will give it to you. If you do not like what (A) company provides... then purchase (B) company's products that work with it.

No company will build a product just for you.... Unless you are looking to spend a lot of money up front. They make the product that will work the way it is described with other units that are either made by their own company, or companies that they source out products from. They do this to keep prices down for the customer.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Notice he didn't say manufacturers take note...

I agree with everything you said...

This is similar to the concept of what VARs do in the IT world by piecing components together and reselling as a package so that you get the right package that fits your needs.

What he misses is that because of diverse needs and tastes there really is no one size fits all deal in this hobby and I think that was the main argument made initially.

What the OP considers quality yet cheap someone else might not see the value. I doubt RSM is like we'll just throw in this crappy skimmer to complete the package...i'm sure there are plenty of RSM users who think its awesome they have a protein skimmer at all.

I do think there is some value to the concept..maybe not as originally proposed by the OP of having a suggested beginner package of equipment or even a more novice/intermediate/advanced version put together that people could use as a reference or jump off to get started.

When I started out, i had no clue what components would work together and make a good system. AV hooked me up both on price and performance and so I lucked out. There's just soooo many choices in this hobby it's easy to get lost before you even get started.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I do think there is some value to the concept..maybe not as originally proposed by the OP of having a suggested beginner package of equipment or even a more novice/intermediate/advanced version put together that people could use as a reference or jump off to get started.

Unfortunately... there is no "Value" in regards to cost of goods sold.
Any additional item added/replaced/changed would be an upgrade.

There are plenty of references out there... Google is one of them. Usually if you know how to use the "Interweb" you can find vast amounts of information that are available at your fingertips.

Just sayin'

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
tosiek that's a really good idea, but yea I ment like a package, I see custom kings does it but its usually just stand sump and tank. If he got the sc301 and a ct lighting technology's 85w and put that in one of those 45 gallons he does w the square sump that would be a amazing package for someone just starting out. He wouldn't have to kill people on it but the buyer would be more than happy with that skimmer and light for that size tank. so I guess this thread was pretty pointless because custom kings already does pretty much what im saying. Tosek had the idea for a thread were theres some simple setups that people are using and having good results with for beginners I think that would be great. Im sorry about my grammar I type on here like I text. Its become second nature to type quickly and with poor grammar.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Unfortunately... there is no "Value" in regards to cost of goods sold.
Any additional item added/replaced/changed would be an upgrade.

There are plenty of references out there... Google is one of them. Usually if you know how to use the "Interweb" you can find vast amounts of information that are available at your fingertips.

Just sayin'

And thats part of the point. The "interweb" as you so call it has a LOT of information. Many times this information is conflicting, or just arguments going back and forth over the merits of where the company who designed it is based, and not directly at putting together a package of components from different manufacturers.

Thats where the value comes in. We've all seen good low cost hardware whether it be an Eshopps skimmer instead of some other big name brand or Evergrow lights vs Radions. Having that knowledge put together to help people get an awesome reef setup is a huge value to someone starting out or even people doing it for a while.

Anyone go all slap each other senseless....unsubscribing.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just sayin'

Not completely correct. If your looking at the hobby with zero knowledge on tank setups its very daunting looking at a site like marine depot and order a tank setup for yourself.

For example, would you expect someone new to know how big a tank a 50w heater works on? Most if not all the heaters listed for sale used to specify the gallonage ratings for them. Or if its worth spending the money on a MP40 or get 2 maxijets instead.

Most cases, your going to have to ask someone for a recommendation to even get a sense of direction. And then most people won't do the research to see if that piece of equipment will work for them or if there are other options, or where to even look for other options.

I think a thread listing some setups for varying degrees of "cheap" that would help people out a lot. Its very easy to browse through peoples tank threads and see the high end setups.

Then compound that with the conflicting information like Inevo mentioned.

Im sorry about my grammar I type on here like I text. Its become second nature to type quickly and with poor grammar.
Cvaugn, it might be a good idea to use these forums as practice then =) No need to rush responses. Helps in others reading what your trying to quickhand.

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi Cvaughn - as a member who has yet to set up a reef tank, really appreciate your whole thought process. In the late 70's use to breed countless freshwater fish like so many others and then in the very early 80's had a saltwater tank. Loved it, the hobby, always did and always will. Avid reader of all kinds of fish, all the time. do not have tanks but very in tuned. Looking to get my first reef tank......very daunting and very expensive or so it seems. Bigger, nano all kinds of lighting, etc. Haven't a clue where to jump in........ an inexpensive, medium quality, decent sized tank AIO under $1000 would be ideal.........

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: