Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hey, so lets talk about how theres so much over priced stuff on the market right now, some people have these small set ups they end up putting like ridiculous money into. Also ive seen more and more people be into frag tanks. So ive come up with a list of products that are like knock offs but work, and work well and have great reviews and don't break and im using them on most of my tanks, but what if I could come up with a super cost efficient package that would allow people just getting inot the hobby to get a really pro set up instead of some rsm junk or a jbj or im or one of those trash set ups? I personally had a rsm and I hate it. OK so if you made a rimless style 50 gallon AIO that would be like 250 bucks there for me to make that tank, the sca 301 is 85 bucks, pump 40 bucks jebo wp25 is 100 bucks and a 85w led is like 240 bucks. so were looking at 700 bucks for a really good set up, with quality components, the nuvo 38 is 700 dollars without a protein skimmer and a ****** light, why hasn't someone around here started selling a set up like this? odviously you could change a bunch of things like tank size skimmer size light size but with these cheaper components I feel someone could make some money and make a lot of people happy by making a AIO set up that's for sale and ready, maby one of the vendors could make it happen, even if that was for sale for 1000 dollars, a rsm is 1800, and id take the first over the rsm any day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think im gunna go for it, gunna build a 26x26x17 acrylic AIO cube, its gunna come with a jebo wp25 a sc301 skimmer a small media masket and a small refugium area for a ball of cheto the lighting is gunna be a intellisun 85w unit and a mount for the light, once its together ill post it up for sale, if it sells ill build another

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yea he built me a sump great guy, I feel like people who don't know much about the hobby don't know there over paying when they buy certain things, I personally think this industry robs people blind, examples of that are some newer items on the market like the sc301 the jebo pumps and the ctl led sytems, the sc301 is a great skimmer that functions just as well as its 300 dollar counter parts, it can be found on ebay for 85 dollars, the jebo pumps are 80 bucks..... enough said MP10s and MP40s are simply over priced and ridiculous, and I just got a 85w led unit w controller for 240 dollars. if someone combined those things with a aio instead of getting crap youd get quality equipment and a successful aquarium. I just don't know if im the only one that sees these newer products the same way, maby some people see them as junk, well idk the jebos and the sc301 I know for shure are legit and quality stuff I cant wait to get my light and test it out!!

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
yea he built me a sump great guy, I feel like people who don't know much about the hobby don't know there over paying when they buy certain things, I personally think this industry robs people blind, examples of that are some newer items on the market like the sc301 the jebo pumps and the ctl led sytems, the sc301 is a great skimmer that functions just as well as its 300 dollar counter parts, it can be found on ebay for 85 dollars, the jebo pumps are 80 bucks..... enough said MP10s and MP40s are simply over priced and ridiculous, and I just got a 85w led unit w controller for 240 dollars. if someone combined those things with a aio instead of getting crap youd get quality equipment and a successful aquarium. I just don't know if im the only one that sees these newer products the same way, maby some people see them as junk, well idk the jebos and the sc301 I know for shure are legit and quality stuff I cant wait to get my light and test it out!!
I can't say I have really bought any equip. new, it's usually from this site or similar. I did buy my tank new, and a DIY stand with some help of friends. I hear what your saying, but the only thing that can't be accounted for is time spent doing something like this. What your saying makes sense, but time is the key ingredient that has to be taken into consideration above all others.... Some people simply don't have any to spare.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0

The jebo's aren't that awesome. They are riddled with noise problems from imbalanced and improperly assembled units, pain to get spare parts (the company just ships you a new pump and you need to return the old one), and a few other issues from what I've been reading since they popped onto the market. When you get one thats flawless your set for a few years but thats the rarity when it comes to Jebo's.

As far as the skimmers, they also have noise issues due to the cheaper pumps they use. I have read that they are built well and skim well too. But there are also reliable skimmers from reputable companies running for 30-40$ more than the sc-301 with less noisy pumps and built properly. Much better support which is what matters in reef equipment. But these skimmers are great from what i've heard.

FYI, people aren't stupid and will quickly provide a demand if the product is worthwhile and at a good price, and the free market is quick to supply that demand if there is profit to be made. There are reasons why you're not seeing people bundling together AIO's like your asking. There is also a reason why vortech has their price tag, and its not unreasonable. Noones robbing anyone blind, noone ever forces anyone to buy anything and there are other alternatives out there. There is plenty of competition out there for skimmers, yet they are still in the 150-300 range for anything in the 100-200g range. There is also a reason for that and its not people taking advantage of us reefers.

And yes, things are expensive in the aquarium industry. For the most part, a lot of freshwater aquarium products are very inexpensive because most if not all are used in other industries. Reef related products have a much much smaller consumer base. You will see return pumps on the cheap because they are used in pools and ponds, a powerhead with a specific function like the tunze or vortech is obviously going to have a smaller market and for the most part higher costs associated with that.

And please use better punctuation and sentences/paragraphs. Its really hard to read what your writing. Just trying to help.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Great go for it. Source out all of your parts... Show each receipt. Factor in your time to build it. Sell it on MR. Pay to be a vendor.

Take note....

hehehe grass is always greener on the other side.

Its nice looking at things from a DIY standpoint when your making something for yourself and can say "hey its going to cost me ~200$ + 20$ in glue to make a 50g acrylic tank".

When you factor in your time in making and selling it that 250$ investment needs a 400-500$ return to make it worthwhile. And if your making it a business you need to sell 2-3 a week + other income to make a living.

And thanks Cmantis. I just looked that up.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0

Please put this in the WAHHHHH thread and then go get a sweet gold fish bowl :) You want garbage go buy garbage again and again. You want a kia go get it. I strive to get a cadillac. They do the exact same thing but one is built to last and gorgeous to look at and the other ,well not so much. You like to look at wires and have metal rust in your tank sweet i dont.

Last edited:

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Please put this in the WAHHHHH thread and then go get a sweet gold fish bowl :) You want garbage go buy garbage again and again. You want a kia go get it. I strive to get a cadillac. They do the exact same thing but one is built to last and gorgeous to look at and the other ,well not so much. You like to look at wires and have metal rust in your tank sweet i dont.

you really get what you pay for in this market. all the MP are over price but consider the customer service your getting. replacement part with no question ask from ecotech. i have jebao pump too, but if that thing breaks down am i going to get a new one? or i have to spend countless hours to find it else where.

you have the right idea of building a cheap AIO tank but if your looking to stay in this hobby you want something with better quality.

ur quoting urself on a $300 tank? what about the equipment you use to build the tank? time to get that thing to sell? and the time to make this thing? as a side hobby you do for fun thats perfectly fine but making a business out of it nothing beats assembly line.

Time is money my friend.

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think the sc301 is a great skimmer personally, I use it and love it, doesn't seem noisy to me. same w the power heads, just ordered the led so ill let u know how it is. I think your misunderstanding my 700 dollar quote, I also think your misunderstanding why im posting it, first of all I have 2 successful reefs running in my apartment so im good on the goldfish bowl. all im saying is that's what it would cost me to make one of these set ups. As far as time and equipment I have time And I have a garage full of tools 10 mins away at my parents house and my retired father loves doing projects like this with me, so ill try to make one. I'll probably keep it for myself, maby try to sell it. I guess from my standpoint it doesn't seem to make sense that these companys make so much money off of this, and why they cant seem to come up with something that really works? Would Red Sea really get so hurt by putting a better protein skimmer on there AIO? Would innovative marine get killed by putting a slightly better led unit over there AIO? I don't think so. Someone who makes acrylic tanks already could do this very easily using the cheaper skimmer option and the cheaper led option. forget I even mentioned the powerheads, and that alone would make for a great start for someone who doesn't have the time to assemble there own setup, they could choose whatever powerhead that want and there ready to rock.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Where is this thread going, where was it suppose to be headed

This is merely a hobby, if you can find functional for reasonable, go for it.

Some of us are way too proud of our sumps and gadgets, I go on shopping sprees, been to stores and homes with nothing fancy on other than good lights and properly sized skimmer and everything is alive

Point of this thread is that some things can be generic, why complain, some of you know that you get in trouble for spending so much or have to justify it with silly arguments like "I dont gamble, I dont drink, bla bla bla bla bla"

Point is, not everything in this hobby needs to be so expensive that we lie about it at home

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I'll help Cvaughn out with this because I think i started the derail. The issue I got from the first few posts, aside from the hate on business mentality =), is that he doesn't understand why more people aren't preparing cheap/cost efficient setups for people to buy to help fellow hobbyists out.

........odviously you could change a bunch of things like tank size skimmer size light size but with these cheaper components I feel someone could make some money and make a lot of people happy by making a AIO set up that's for sale and ready, maby one of the vendors could make it happen, even if that was for sale for 1000 dollars, a rsm is 1800, and id take the first over the rsm any day.......
People/vendors have done setups like this before. Its a rarity because these setups take a while to assemble and aren't worth the trouble for vendors to setup and sell unless they have extras and want to get rid of the equipment. There are a plethora of reasons from a financial and business view of it why its rarely done and I'm not getting into that.

Can businesses like Red Sea afford to put a better skimmer on their AIO setups and other companies the same? Most probably, but I think its because they know the majority of people buying their AIO setups are goign to upgrade once they find the forums. You can write them a letter asking them for the change. You'd be surprised that they would most likely listen to you. In the end its the companies choice. If you don't like it you have every right to not buy them and do your own setups like you already have and be perfectly happy. That means less money for them and your happier. And for those buying those "overpriced" products, they are free to do so if that is how they want to spend their money. If a company isn't putting out a good product or there is something better then they will lose customers and that company will adjust. But in the end its none of our business how they plan on spending their profits or utilizing their operating costs as much as its nobody's business telling you how to spend your own income. Would you like it if one of the forum members or some random person on the streeet started to complain about your spending/not spending and going into your financials?

Either way, instead of making a thread like this it would be much more beneficial for everyone if you instead made a post Listing with links complete AIO setups for newbies just getting in to easily acquire all the items needed for an awesome setup like yours. Maybe make a post asking people to give out good setups for different tank sizes and value the cost vs efficiency or something. People aren't stupid and noone is manipulating anyone. People will buy what they hold value in.

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
+1 on the idea of having a post with detailed setups for those starting out or upgrading/downgrading.

Would be interesting to see if the MR crowd could actually pull something like this off without every thread becoming an argument though..

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
+1 to having a thread dedicated to AIO setups and links to top end item, more affordable items, and finally the lowest cost items.

This would have been an invaluable thread for me when I started my AIO a few months ago - this could give estimated prices for new versus used items which would also allow for newcomers a quick reference to anticipate costs and on which items they want to allocate more or less money to.

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I cant belive how mad people got about this. Maby some MR members need to have a beer relax a little, i just thaught maby vendors who already make acrylic tanks may want to try to make a AIO with some components that are cost effective and see how the unit sells as 1 piece. I wish something like that was available before i baught my used rsm, i would have spent the extra money to get a system i would be happy with in the long run. im not crying because i can just sell my rsm to someone, just because i wasn't happy with it doesn't mean someone else wont enjoy it.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I don't think anyone got mad, they just threw their opinions out there bluntly. You just subconsciously read it as anger because they didn't agree with your views. =)

And I still don't see a thread for the great idea I gave you.....:wink1:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: