• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
i haven't moved. tank hasn't moved.

i didn't freeze the RG. he was dead longer than the RLB, and had already begun to deteriorate. also, i was much more attached to him - could not imagine necropsying him...

i agree about the ich. there was no time. the Yellow tang, on the other hand, may be developing it!!!

:(

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A raise in temp can led to things dying, like pods & small inverts, this can cause a lost of oxygen which will cause an increase in Co2. This will cause the Ph to drop, which can cause corals, inverts and some fish to die quickly. All of the dying just makes it worst.

A good indicator of low oxygen is if you snails start to climb up the glass to the top of the tank.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Interesting about the snails! Thanks.

i told my daughters this morning.

the six year old was very pragmatic -- "we'll get new fish, right?" she says, with a mouth full of breakfast.

the four year old runs from the breakfast table crying and starts searching the tank for the missing fish, all the while bewailing the loss of the RG, Comet, crying "where is Comet? where is Comet?"

she asks what I did with them. i tell her (I'm a scientist and not into lying to my children) that the blenny is in the freezer so that I can look at him more to better understand what happened, maybe, but that I had to let Comet go (having seen Nemo, she knows what that means). So she leaves the tank and goes to the freezer... She wants to see the blenny.

she looks at him, stops crying and says, "hmmmm... he looks just the same."

and with that, returns to the table and says, "what was the pretty fish's name again?"

KIDS!

dc178p

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a quick change between temp and O2 level, this could have caused to much stress on the blenny causing it to die. Just a theory though, I know human anatomy not fish.sorry for your loss.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: