chrishew09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm building my first SW tank, you can see my tank thread here:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/50222-my-first-saltwater-tank.html

I'm at the point now where I need a light, my plain is for it to be FOWLR until I get the hang of everything and the maintenance. So I dont need a top notch light, it needs to be 24" what do you guys suggest?

I was looking at a Nova Extreme SLR T5 48Watt, but I think it might be to low power.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
really dont need much light at all if it's going to be fowler, id say skimp now and when you decide where u want to go in the hobby, then buy a light thats proper for your needs

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
a freshwater fixture, what i am saying is if you plan to keep sps or lps or maybe a anenome this question might be a little easier to answer, as well as what siz tank is it, whats the height ect

chrishew09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a freshwater fixture, what i am saying is if you plan to keep sps or lps or maybe a anenome this question might be a little easier to answer, as well as what siz tank is it, whats the height ect
Okay I see your point, sps or lps will depend on whats easier to keep, the tank is a 36 gallon corner bow, 21" high. I was considering an anenome.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
250w mh can get away without antics pending what bulb you go with, gonna be hard to get good over all coverage with a corner tank mh too me will give best over coverage plus you can keep anything under it

junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
in my opinion.. this will be the best light you can have for that tank.. but then again i have a vested interest cause i might sell this light eventually :tongue1: you can keep anything with this light as per what the other posters (NYReefnoob and Wingo) had said..

250 watt HQI (double ended) MH with Bluewave 3 ballast....

mh250.jpg

mh_250a.jpg

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a 36 bow tank and, if you dont plan on keeping SPS or an anemone, I would just consider a nice PC or T5 light. I have a Current dual 65w daylight/actinic PC fixture on mine right now and all my soft and LPS corals are doing quite well.

Of course, if you think you might want the SPS or anemone in the future, a really good T5 or MH light is probably the way to go. Its cheaper if you dont HAVE to upgrade.

chrishew09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys all this advice is great!!

So it's safe to say that MH are the highest intensity lights out there but they also are the most costly and highest power consumption. I know I know, everyone keeps telling me that this isn't the cheapest hobby but I am try to do this on a budget.

I'm pretty sure I have settled on a Nova Extreme SLR T5, 24", 4 bulbs, 96W. As long as I dont have SPS corals I should be good, and thats fine with me. It's pretty inexpensive about $165 new.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks guys all this advice is great!!

So it's safe to say that MH are the highest intensity lights out there but they also are the most costly and highest power consumption.
WRONG on both counts. LED has higher intensity than MH and is more expensive than MH

I'm pretty sure I have settled on a Nova Extreme SLR T5, 24", 4 bulbs, 96W. As long as I dont have SPS corals I should be good, and thats fine with me. It's pretty inexpensive about $165 new.
96W T5 should sufficient for mot applications in if your tank is shallow. So I guess you are OK with this choice.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: