S

steveo32

Well i have a Sohal tang and a newly added Salfin tang in a 180 gal tank. they plus one marron clown are the only fish in the tank. i know there has to be some initial agresstion but the Sohal is beating the crap out of the salfin. His fins a pretty tore up and I am afraind that the Sohal will kill him. Is there anything I can do to help aside from taking hte salfin out ? I don't know whats going to happen when I start stocking other fish and tangs.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Cali i would love to add more tangs but the funds are not availible for htat right now lol.

Jim, I could try and get the Sohal out but that was like one of the fish I wanted to keep. The salfin seems better now then yesterday and I have had the lights off for a wile now but that dam sohal keeps going after him. I 'll see if I can get a pic up

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Either get rid of the Sohal or get rid of the Sailfin. Even if you add other tangs you're going to have a problem with the Sohal, especially in a 180gal tank. As the Sohal gets larger, and the other tangs too, you're going to have even more problems.

If you're going to keep the Sohal try keep it with out aggressive fish, like Triggers, Groupers, Snappers, Large Angels and such.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Well I might be picking up a blonde naso an inch or two bigger than the Sohal and I'm going to see if that helps. Hopefully it will.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Throw the sohal in the sump... works for me....But only for 2 or 3 days... I did this if one of my angels would get out of line in the beginning...Started this time out practice with sohol and a pbt in my earlier days.....it seems like they can still smell each other, but allows new fish to adjust....If your water quality is real good nofood for the sohal for 2 days...

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
122   0   0
That may be an option if I can catch him. Give him a time out for not palying well with others. But he won't start again after he's put back in ? Also I would have to continue to do so when I wanted to add a new fish ? We'll see what happens after tomarrow I explained to the wife "But hunnie its not that I want to buy another fish, I have to get one for the other fishes sake"

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I never tried the mirror trick, but I've done all the others. And they didn't work. Once the original tang saw a new comer that was it. If the new comer is a strong fish, and fights back they would make it. Or crafty as this last yellow tang I got. My PT went after it mercylessly, and would not stop even after I added 3 more tangs. The PT ignored all the new ones, and kept right after the yellow tang. The yellow one found a cave that the PT couldn't get into, and thats where it stayed for a few weeks until it healed. Now they're fine.

Oh, and I got a little clarki that has done even better then the yellow tang. I have a GS maroone that went after the clarki. The clarki dug sand out from under a rock and made herself a little cave. The maroon goes for the clarki, and the clarki runs and gets in her cave. Not one torn fin.:biglaugh:

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Well I got a very nice Blonde naso tang today and so far it pretty good. The Naso stays by the Salfin and kinda of protects him. He's also a little bigger than the Sohal so he's keeping him in check. Hopefully all will be calm soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: