seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
If it is your live sand, then, it is die-off. If it is not too bad, your tank, can adjust to the smaller cycle, without too much side effects. I had a similar thing happen with a part of a live rock, I put back in my smaller tank. I wanted to kill off some sponge, so I placed under hot tap water for a bit of time and during the week, that part of the rock, would smell and then, turn white. So it had some die-off, but since it was only a small part of my tank, I saw no other effects except for the smell.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah, I moved my tank last night, cleared out all the water, but left the sand in there just for the move. The sand really smelled bad until I put the water back in the tank. So perhaps it is the sand.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Is it a sulfur smell? It could be hydrogen sulfide. It which case it is part of the cycle within the tank that is not completing.

Special blend, which smells even worse could help by balancing some of the micro fauna that is required to complete the process. Also increasing the aeration of the tank by moving surface water.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Last edited:

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If the sand is out of the water, definitely will stink......But rarely do I smell it when it has water in the tank.
I think he may have a snail that have climbed out and died? or a fish jump out? That will definitely smell really bad when they start rotting. I would just leave the windows open to air things out...Even if something did jump out and you can't find it, eventually, it will dry up and it wont smell anymore. You'll find it probably 6 months later :)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
is it a sulfur smell? It could be hydrogen sulfide. It which case it is part of the cycle within the tank that is not completing.

Special blend, which smells even worse could help by balancing some of the micro fauna that is required to complete the process. Also increasing the aeration of the tank by moving surface water.

Sent from my iphone using reefs

+1

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Honestly i think it has to do with my phosphate bc I'm noticing brown spots on my sand bed ,, and then the smell comes around ,, I been rinsing my food with ro water ,, and I'm goin to lower my lights schedule , I'm running t5's for 10 hrs ,, and mh's for 8 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I had the same problem when my tank was 8 years old I changed to a bigger skimmer same brand aqua c and the smell was very noticable I got the overflow canister with carbon stack and it went away after about a year the smell came back , I changed the carbon in the stack and everything is back to normal

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
To me, the big question, is "is the problem just the live sand that had die-off or something else"?

If the smell goes away in 2 weeks, then all that happened was there was die off with a mini cycle.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: