Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hey Dan, I wouldn't worry too much about the nitrates as long as they're not out of control. I just tested my water and my nitrates are 2.5 and everything is thriving. My phosphates are 0.02 and I feed twice per day. However, I do 10 gallon water changes every week, clean the skimmer cup and neck and change the socks once a week also. I clean the glass about once a week, not much of anything though. Hope this helps.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks Sanman. I was curious because I think I either read or was told that nitrates have to be at zero in order to successfully keep corals and to avoid algae outbreaks. I only have a CUC in the tank right now but I'm trying to have my parameters just right for when I eventually add a fish and then a coral.

I just noticed pods on my glass and in the fuge the other night. Gotta be a good sign, right?

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Thanks Sanman. I was curious because I think I either read or was told that nitrates have to be at zero in order to successfully keep corals and to avoid algae outbreaks. I only have a CUC in the tank right now but I'm trying to have my parameters just right for when I eventually add a fish and then a coral.

I just noticed pods on my glass and in the fuge the other night. Gotta be a good sign, right?

No problem, I always had some nitrates in my systems. I think the lowest I had it was 1. The same goes for phosphates, it's almost impossible to have it at 0, mine tested at 0.02 with a Hanna a few days ago right before I was due for a water change so I think that's great. The pods on the glass and on the fuge are a good thing, keep up the good work buddy. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
But if you only have CUC, where is the waste coming from? How much are you feeding them?

Have you tested your RODI water? You might have a dirty filter. This happened to me. Couldn't figure out why I was having problems until I tested the RODI water.

What other signs do you have that you have a nitrate problem? Any nuisance algae?

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I had the same problem as you. My nitrates won't come down below 20. To fix this I added more flow in the tank. Everytime I touched a rock I could see detruis flying. I added mp40 and two koralia 750. Since then 0 nitrates. Problem arises when detrius is not efficiently transported down to the sump where it is removed from skimmer or a sock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: