sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have been adviced that a particular coral should be removed from the tank. I looked at it - and found that on the same rock is a lovely leather coral. Is there a way to safely remove the leather and keep it in the tank?

EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If possible,take the entire rock out of the tank.

Then in a large bowl cut the leather away wuth a razor blade.Then WALA!!!.

Leathers will release toxins in the water that are very toxic to sps corals.if u cut them in the main system.

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
oh goodness I dont remember the name. And I cant find the map, at the mement, that Randy drew of what is in the tank. It is purple with 3 long furriness. THis coral is big and very pretty. But Randy said that Jhale had it in his tank and it was such a fast grower it took over his tank. That sounds like more than we can maintain well.

anyone wants it - come on over and get it. we are moving it out today.

we shall try the razor blade method- since the purple stuff has claimed the rock.

DSCF0256_sm.jpg

it is at the very top (you can see the leather nesseled it it)

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If it's the one in the middle at the top, it could be a devil's hand leather. I have one and it is huge! No need to cut it out and release toxins, just use something like a butter knife to pry it loose from the rock.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Personally if you're going to throw out the rock wth the anthelia, the pest coral, I'd really chip off the rock around the leather that way you don't have to cut into it. I'd do it this way so you won't have to reattach the leather, you could just glue the rock rubble it would be attached to back onto a rock.

-krisEN

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Yes the Anthellia is the coral in question, and I second Kris' approach. If not, remove the whole rock and cut the leather you want to keep as close to the rock as possible ( it might just rip off pretty easily) out of the tank and replace it into an area of high current for a few day until the wound heals. This sounds like a rough thing to do, but they are very tough and will recover in short oreder. I'd also add some fresh carbon to the system to help absorb the toxins released by the stressed leather. If you are not comfortable doing this, there is no rush, while tthe anthellia do spread quickly, they don't spread that quickly:) Randy

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hummm. toxins... not a a very good idea for the tank right now.
I sat staring at the tank - studing what is in there. There is many leathers. maybe a better idea is to trade the entire piece to someone who is interesting in dealing with separating the two- and I'll get traded some tasty little frag.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was able to remove the anthelia from my rocks by peeling it off. it grows in matts and if you get a knife under it the whole thing will peel off.
it's best done out of the tank. you can keep the rock in a shallow tray with water so you can keep the leather wet while you remove the anthelia. let the anthelia shrink down before you try to remove it. if you don't it will squirt water out and you don't want that to get in your eyes.
once it's off you can rubberband the pieces around some some rocks, keep it or give it to someone who wants it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: