KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
defeats the purpose of getting a zero edge if you cover it...

lol, my brain apparently melted. :eek: My mind was picturing an Elos tank, my eyes reading the words zero edge. Sorry about that!

ok..IF you did get a zero edge keep a few things in mind..
1- if you have any other pets (furry ones)..their fur will be floating on top of the water
2- you now have to clean 8 sides of glasses (in & out , all 4 sides)
3- it needs to be PERFECTLY level to flow over the sides of the tank
4- kids/pets can be challenging with one of these around
5- You'll be looking at the underside of whatever light you hang over it
6- and yes, you couldn't have a JH jawfish in there ..or any other fish prone to jumping :(

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
With regards to the Zeroedge, I will have to get rid of my Firefish and my Jawfish, that or stick them in my new tank which is cycling. I have no kids nor furry pets so no need to worry about that. Also, From what I hear cleaning is very minimal because it's a continuous flow of water.

With regards to my Biocube, I think I found the problem... I have a feeling it was the Koralia 1, it circulates about 400 gph. I was using that in conjunction with the MaxiJet hooked up to a wavemaker. It was A LOT of flow. Great for coral, but... the Koralia took up a lot of swimming space in the middle so I took it out and the water seemed MUCH calmer.

I will see if this works and am really hoping it does. My water parameters are good and I will run another test again this week. Ammonia and Nitrites are both at 0 and my nitrate isn't running too high at about 30ppm.

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry about your fish, Ill give you the maxi jet 1200 intake cover if you want it, they all come with one but i dont use it. 7876670553 I live in the north bronx. About you having a lot of current you probably do. I have the nanocube 24g, the original pump broke and i had to buy a maxijet1200 and noted taht the current was too much, at least for my soft coral. I got a raplacement of the original pump.
I also have a koralia nano for sale if your koralia1 is to big.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Thanks for the offer!!! I might take you up on that soon. But now I think I found another potential problem.

I woke up this morning and couldn't find my firefish. Well I was like... de ja veaux crap. Now of course my Maxi Jet is covered with womens hose. So I found him in my second chamber (still alive!!!) I forced him out and boy let me tell you these guys can REALLY JUMP. He jumped back into my tank.

Then I was thinking... I blocked off the intake grills how the hell did he get in. I closed the lid and found that there is about 1/2 - 1 inch gap between the lighting canopy and the chambers. I sealed it up with some cardboard so far. Let's hope I don't run into any other surprises.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Once again I was wrong. I bought another firefish thinking everything was safe.

I woke up this morning to a headless firefish (my new one I just bought). The Coral Banded Shrimp was the stressor in this situation. He CLEARLY sawed and ate the head of my firefish. I have nothing else in the tank that is capable of doing that. I removed the Shrimp and put him into my Eclipse 6 Mini Reef (which I intended for FOWLR, but now is an invert tank only.)

I hope this solves all my fish woes.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Once again I was wrong. I bought another firefish thinking everything was safe.

I woke up this morning to a headless firefish (my new one I just bought). The Coral Banded Shrimp was the stressor in this situation. He CLEARLY sawed and ate the head of my firefish. I have nothing else in the tank that is capable of doing that. I removed the Shrimp and put him into my Eclipse 6 Mini Reef (which I intended for FOWLR, but now is an invert tank only.)

I hope this solves all my fish woes.

Coral Banded Shrimps are known to do such a thing. I once saw a coral banded eating a peppermint half way of its body while the peppermint is still breathing.

uncle deisel

Wannabereefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont quit

dont quit you will see planning ahead is very important along with your budget. try your hand at a bigger tank if you have the room and dont skimp on your equipment youll see a big differance and you will enjoy the fact that your maint. is cut in half.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: