Status
Not open for further replies.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am very excited to be part of the new reefs.com team and especially to be moderating the SPS forum.

SPS have a special place in my heart, it is the one coral that really clicked for me. Hopefully you share my obsession with keeping this coral and love chat about how to keep these corals alive and thriving, how to get the best coloration, and how to grow them from tiny frags to large colonies. I will try to answer your questions on keeping SPS as best I can. I don't know everything by a long shot, but I will try to help you, and on the way hopefully we can all learn something. I will also try to help separate what we need to know to be successful with SPS, from the stuff that doesn't really matter.

With that said, what would everyone like to see in this forum?

Picture threads are always fun and welcomed.

Tanks threads are great if you are showing off your tank.

I have hosted many topic discussions in the past that were focused on how to keep SPS. I can definitely do some of those. What topics would you like to see covered?

Finally since everyone love pics, here are some pictures of corals I have had over the years. All of these were grown from frags.

DSCN3537.jpg

DSCN3519.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN3585.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

DSC_1973_raw.jpg

DSC_2018_raw.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Congrats Joe! I've heard your name many times as you come with high regards in the SPS world. I've been keeping reef tanks since 2001 and just recently decided to take the plunge in the full SPS world. I have about 25-30 frags all growing out in my 125 and just switch the a calcium reactor which with your help I have been tuning in for the past several days (so far so good). I think I have a pixie dust frag the came from you a few months back also that I got through Rob.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Joe! I've heard your name many times as you come with high regards in the SPS world. I've been keeping reef tanks since 2001 and just recently decided to take the plunge in the full SPS world. I have about 25-30 frags all growing out in my 125 and just switch the a calcium reactor which with your help I have been tuning in for the past several days (so far so good). I think I have a pixie dust frag the came from you a few months back also that I got through Rob.

Many thanks! Glad to see some of my frags are still out there. I sold a lot of frags via exotic reefs way back in 2004 so there should be a bunch of stuff around, but I have not been able to find a lot of my old corals in people tanks.

I am restarting my current tank as well, I have about 22 SPS frags in it right now and a nice care package coming my way next week. So I will be taking the journey with you my friend.

Tuning the reactor can be such a pain, once it's done though you are riding on easy street!

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Congrats JB!
I think youll get alot of questions on maintenance, husbandry, parameters, lighting, ect and i know your not a big fan of LED's but youll have to get over that and work with us lol. Youll definitely have me following along and adding to your SPS forum.
also can we have an easy link next to the other threads( Reefs for Beginners, Advanced Reefs, Nano, Tanks Identification, Photography, Chemistry) for SPS.

Last edited:

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Tuning was a challenge at first. Now that I understand all the relationships really well it's going much better. Just making small adjustments each day trying to keep things as stable as I can throughout the process. I started at 50ml/min but no i find myself up around 120ml/min. This is definitely not something for beginners in the hobby.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Joe, your experience is legendary

Thank you very much Andy.

Congrats JB!
I think youll get alot of questions on maintenance, husbandry, parameters, lighting, ect and i know your not a big fan of LED's but youll have to get over that and work with us lol. Youll definitely have me following along and adding to your SPS forum.
also can we have an easy link next to the other threads( Reefs for Beginners, Advanced Reefs, Nano, Tanks Identification, Photography, Chemistry) for SPS.

I'll work on getting the links easier to work. I'll try to get some good threads up so we can discuss those points, I love seeing what every one else does too.

I'm not an LED hater I swear! I'm like Mulder from the X-Files "I want to believe"!

Joe is a legend in the hobby..congrats buddy

Thanks for the kind words Kev. Hopefully we can get this forum rocking.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Great news for MR I have already learned a lot by reading ur thread look forward to hearing more about sps care from you thank you for sharing what you have learned
I liked your response to one post
" never give in never surrender" that's kinda hit the nail on the head for me trying to keep sps feel like I'm in a all out brawl me against the tank lol

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can believe. 4 AI blues

Very nice, you know this whole modding thing is just a clever attempt to get more frags?

congrats ....like I said in my other post your other tank looked remarkable cant wait to see this one when fully grown out .... your tank is one that everyone should strive to

Very nice of you, hopefully I can help everyone who wants to achieve the same or better results.

Great news for MR I have already learned a lot by reading ur thread look forward to hearing more about sps care from you thank you for sharing what you have learned
I liked your response to one post
" never give in never surrender" that's kinda hit the nail on the head for me trying to keep sps feel like I'm in a all out brawl me against the tank lol

Many thanks, I feel that was an appropriate quote given all the $*it that can happen in our tanks.

Congrats Joe !

Thank you Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: