I noticed since i changed to leds Maxspects my zoas arent growing like they did before under t5s
Someone told me they need more 470 wavelength that the leds dont have
is this true?
If so do you guys think if i add a t5 fixture it would help and if so should i just get actinics
under the leds the corals and zoas glow like a black light and my sps are growing but my zoas just arent going too fast
thanks

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I know how you feel..I once had metal halides and the zoa growth was great then i switched to T5 and the growth was still going at a nice pace once i switched to LED lights i felt like it slowed down.So now im adding 4x 24'' T5 bulbs just to give it that extra BANG..So far im going with 2 daylights and still thinking about the other 2.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Yea I agree with george halides you really get the best growth..LED's in my opinion are only good for showing off and making the colors pop not good for growth at all in my experience. I think LED's just like everything else new and exciting are over priced and overrated

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Over priced yes , over rated not at all , that's why so many people out here are dumping the halides and t5s , it's all about knowing where to place your corals and not blasting the led lights as soon as you get em, do a bit of research before you open it up and raise the control to 100 % I am new to salt water but I know my levels for my corals and my led unit works great , I just recommend buying them if you are not a handy person cause to build it yourself can still be costly if you don't know what your doing!.

It really comes down to preference people .

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Yes but how is your GROWTH that's what we're talking about. They look great and live but I'm yet to see any type of LED provide as much growth as metal halide or even T5 even though they are supposed to put out as much light or more but I personally haven't seen the growth. I have had this convo with many people. Also if someone switches from mh to led for the saving electric factor the corals are basically on steroids. Show me a new tank with only LED and all brand new corals then see how much growth there is. I guarantee you there won't be much. This is pretty much quoted from a convo I had with a friend yesterday.
I have one of the most expensive LED fixtures out there Acan Lighting's A-101 82w which is supposed to put out as much as a 175w halide on a 29 biocube I had a dual pc bulb on the corals originally and then switched to LED. I added many many corals to this tank after and you would think there would be amazing growth but in all honesty it's about the same.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: