4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am going to set-up a 300 gallon tank. From a build quality/longevtiy perspective, is it "safer" buying a 300 gallon tank from a manufacturer like MarineLand or a local builder like Coast to Coast.

Thanks.

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i have no experience with tanks, but i have had to make this choice for different purposes. ive always liked to do local suppliers for 2 reasons:
1) its not a factory build which mean more time and more care is taken into the build
2)) your supporting local business

the thing that major manufacturers have over everyone else, is the warranty and price is significantly cheaper

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Cost will be one of the biggest, if the not the biggest, factor. I don't know the market price for a Marineland 300DD, but a quick Google shows ~$1900-$2000. I can imagine Coast to Coast for a similar tank being $3000+. My 75g from C2C was about $1000, and that's with a sale they were running on their 1/2" Starphire glass.

However, if you want a customized - glass thickness, rim or rimless, external overflows, etc., a custom tank will get everything down to your specs.

As for longevity, I can't comment. My C2C tank is 4 years old and running like it was day 1. /knock on wood

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I agree, Marineland will even give you lifetime warranty if you sit the tank in an original marineland stand.

A 300dd is so large that unless you are going peninsula you dont need to customize it, there is room for everthing.

If you have $4k go ahead and seek a boutique shop that will customize the tank but what happens 5 years down the line when your tank leaks or cracks....

Marineland will likely still be around and will send you a new tank if you follow their lifetime warranty guidelines.

4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are spot on, especially about a company like Marineland, that has been around forever. Great comment d5332!! I am in the process of supporting the floor and then will begin to post pics.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I agree, Marineland will even give you lifetime warranty if you sit the tank in an original marineland stand.

A 300dd is so large that unless you are going peninsula you dont need to customize it, there is room for everthing.

If you have $4k go ahead and seek a boutique shop that will customize the tank but what happens 5 years down the line when your tank leaks or cracks....

Marineland will likely still be around and will send you a new tank if you follow their lifetime warranty guidelines.

+1 on the warranty.
i made my own stand cause i wanted oak. but i should of bought theirs and skinned it in oak, and get the lifetime warranty.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: