• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Manhattan Aquariums

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 95.7%
90   4   0
For several months now here at Manhattan Aquariums we have been experimenting with a 16 Gallon BiOrb Classic. At first, we all had doubts about its capabilities and whether it was even worth our time and effort. We wanted to create something unique, so we thought outside the box and into a sphere!
The BiOrb comes stock with an under gravel filter style filtration system and it really isn't a good candidate for a reef tank. We decided to modify the BiOrb to make it reef ready. We took the unit apart and found a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom, perfect for fitting a 3/4 inch bulkhead. We then decided to put a 3/4 inch PVC to run up the center of the "Orb" to use as our intake. Afterwards it was necessary to create a return that would run up from the sump along the back of the tank. A Biocube stand was used and a hole was drilled through the center to run the intake down to the sump and into a micron sock holder. Once the tank was placed, we decided to use an Ecoxotic Par 38 light to sustain LPS and "softies". A Mag 5 pump was used in the sump along with a Hydor Nano Slim skimmer and some Chemi-Pure Elite media. We added live sand, Real Reef rock and water to the tank and let it cycle for a week with Dr.Tims One and Only bacteria. As time passed we rearranged the rock several times to perfect the aqua-scape and added fish and coral very slowly. After lots of love, care and observation, we are proud to present the final product and hopefully see more people attempt this fun project. We hope you enjoy these pics!

Attachments

• BiOrb.jpg
    BiOrb.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • BiOrb2.jpg
    BiOrb2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 940
  • Biorb3.jpg
    Biorb3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 827
  • biorb5.jpg
    biorb5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 824
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficulty?

Hello. I'm new to this message board but came across this post when I was doing some research to see if I could use my 16 gal bioorb as a saltwater tank. This post is the first I've seen of someone doing this.

It looks very cool. My question is...

How hard is this to set up and maintain. I'm not a complete novice to caring for fish and aquariums, however, I'm not some genius fish parent either... I can read and follow directions... However, my concern is that this would be my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I love the look but don't want to go spending tons of money then I get unhappy creatures or everything dies because Of my inexperience.

Is it any easier to maintain 16 gallons of saltwater stuff then say a huge tank of saltwater stuff? I like the look of the bioorbs and already own one that I've had good luck with. I figured maybe starting out small would be best but I don't know... I did notice though that there's not a whole lot of info on putting tropical creatures in them, which leads me to believe its difficult but maybe most people don't want to modify their setup like you've done.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I really appreciate it.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Saw this in person when I picked up the raffle prize from Manhattan Aquariums New Era Foods. 6 canisters of a varied diet fish food! Thanks Guys!
This is a sick tank! Great job!
I wish you guys did small group seminars! We could all benefit from your know how!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: