brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Hey I wanted to know if It was a good idea to add a moorish idol to my reef tank. I have an 120g with a bunch of frags ranging from zoos, polyp, shrooms, candy canes, frog spawns, and hammer heads. What do yall think?

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i have had two moorish idol in the past got them very young they turn out to grow nice in my mixed reef tank 6 feet long ! with two clams ! it is a problem only when you add more corals after their intro in your tank! but always left alone the once already in tank ! hope this could help you !! !

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
there are two types of the common heni butterfly one can be housed in a reef just with little caution :\ way to tell it has to be an adult ! then from the mouth to the pelvic fins the butterfly is round shape compare to more stright almost more triangular shape !! i have a butterfly book that i landed to my father will take it back and let you know the proper and scientific name of it!!

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
wow, well I'm going to think about it. Leaning more too having a fish only tank then picking 1 up.

i have had two moorish idol in the past got them very young they turn out to grow nice in my mixed reef tank 6 feet long ! with two clams ! it is a problem only when you add more corals after their intro in your tank! but always left alone the once already in tank ! hope this could help you !! !

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know this guy that have his morish idol eating mysis shrimp with no problems.

I have had many of them and they will eat anything including flakes. I never had a problem feeding them or had a problem with them touching corals. The problems with Idols goes beyond feeding. Even if they eat well, basically, all of them die in a few years, most in a few months and some in days. As far as I can tell, no one has kept one for ten years and this fish should live at least 20 years. That is my opinion of course. I have studied them and dove with them in the South Pacific where I learned a lot about them. The longest I have kept them alive was 5 years and I found a sponge food source for them that I can collect in the summer.
Not a good fish for almost anyone

Mikei70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Maybe consider a bannerfish?

heniochus1.jpg

From what I understand, there are two varieties-- one is reef safe and one isn't. The good news is that the non safe one is rarer.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i had just recently lost my moorish idol that was kept for over three and a half years. the lfs had brought 3 in for a customer who ended up taking only one. the two lived in the display for over 8 months. they were fed every possible food the store sell. one day they redid the display and caught the idols. the smaller one (3" or so) was offered to me and needless to say i snapped him up in a heart beat. he ate every food i put in the tank from pellets, flakes, nori, freeze-dried mysis and plankton to frozen food-- mysis, formula one, formula two, butterfly formula, clam, mussel, plankton, and squid. never noticed any major destruction to any of the corals. he occasionally nipped at fleshy lps's like brains and trumpets every now and then. he was very healthy. one day after having fed him in the morning, i came home to find him wedged between the rocks dead. his eyes were still clear. he seems to just had died. there was one very peculiar thing i noticed over the years, i've never seen him sleep. anytime i pass by the tank or even a glimpse from another room, he was always swimming around. he was over 4 years old in captivity and over 6" when he died. i don't know why he died:sad2:.....he survived more than two black outs, heater failure and a tank upgrade. i enjoyed having him for those years.:fish:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: