Status
Not open for further replies.

dc178p

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbee to reef aquariums.I have set up a 24gal. Aquapod now cycling with 6- less the 1/2" cromisis. I have a timer for my lights but I don't know if I am to run both the antinic and daylight at the same time and for how many hrs? I will have 25lbs of live rock in the tank( now curing) and plan on making it a reef aguarium. Also should I upgrade the pump? what pump should I use? It is suppose to surface skim but isn't very efficient at it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
new tank

what they are trying to tell you is. put the live rock in tank and let it cure in there, for atleast 6 week's tank will have 2 cycle's. dont use live fish to cycle a tank whether rock is in there or not. rock will have a little cycle in the move to the tank. you should put anything in the tank { live stock or corals for atleast 6 weeks of the rock being in there. go buy a test kit. to test all the water parameter's. flow depends on what corals you will have. if you dont have a skimmer get one. what type of lighting does tank have ect. you could have cycled the tank with a piece of shrimp or some fish food. dont have tank by a window and so on. there alot to read up on and you will find any answer you are looking for on here. dont impulse buy thing's either. pretty fish = dead fish if tank isnt ready

dc178p

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dc178p

let me try again. I am new to this posting stuff. The chromisis are in the aquapod seeded with some media from my very well established 55gal tank.I am cycling 24lbs of live rock in a 20gal tank all by its self. I did not want to put the rock into the tank due to the die off and the mess that would make. The ammonia is nearly zero,nitrite 1ppm,nitrate 20ppm. I could move the chromisis to the quarintien tank ( If I put them in the 55gal, the wasp fish or Lg. hermit crabs will probibly eat them)and put the rock in the aquapod if you all think this would be better. As for the lighting the aquapod has; 1-36w 6700/10000 daylight and 1-36 dual antinic bulbs with two moon lights.I am upgrading the pump with a MAXI JET1200.As for a protien skimmer, how would I install one? The tank has a 1 piece hood .I know that I need to let my tank go through a full cycle and be stable before adding any coral.I also do weekly 1/4 to 1/2 tank water changes(depending on tank size) untill tank has stabilized and if ammonia is more then .5. As for tests, I have them all and test all of my tanks on a weekly bases once established,every three days on ammonia if I add more fish.
My questions:
1)Should I take the fish out of the tank and put the rock in it at this point?
2)Once the rock is in the tank and fully cured, should I run bothe the daylight and the antinic light at the same time and for how long?
Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: