tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Got a new 100mm f/2.8 lense for my canon. Playing with the different settings. Lemme know if you see me doing something wrong or someway to improve them.

Basically playing with the AV setting and shutter speed to get a larger amount of the picture in focus. 400 ISO, tripod and timed shot. Enjoy, these are the first few pics.

Acan.jpg

Scoly-1.jpg

Echno.jpg

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
first shot was about 12"+ away from the lense, other two were more around the 7" range.

Here's another of that acan with a shorter shutter speed.

Acan1.jpg

Original. About 7 clicks on the shutter speed controlls from the pic above almost at max. One thing about this lense is its super short focal range, and shutter speed doesn't have much of a difference on how much of the picture its actually focusing untill your in the 7" range. Thinking about going for a zoom lense and just cropping and zooming in photoshop. Any longer on shutter speed and the pic turns blurry from the acan moving or too much of the background starts to get into focus. Think i gotto start shutting off the pumps when i take pics and leave the shutter open way longer.

Acan.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
shutting off the pumps is good for corals that move. slow shutter speeds don't work too well in tanks. with that 100mm you want to stay at 1/125 to keep things sharp. going lower than 1/60 and your going to start to see blurring.
compensate by using a faster ISO or increasing the light while your shooting. try mixing the flash in at 1/30 or so and see what happens.

ReefBum

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
shutting off the pumps is good for corals that move. slow shutter speeds don't work too well in tanks. with that 100mm you want to stay at 1/125 to keep things sharp. going lower than 1/60 and your going to start to see blurring.
compensate by using a faster ISO or increasing the light while your shooting. try mixing the flash in at 1/30 or so and see what happens.

What sort of f stop do you normally use for macros with a 100mm lens? I know it depends on what kind of depth of field you are trying to achieve but I'm wondering if you go with a certain one for the majority of your shots.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: