House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I say find one of your senior friends who have access to resin and construct it yourself out of that - all those other larger aquarium replicas are resin and the smaller ones are as well.

Model plastic will eventually leach phosphates and could be battled over time.

FWIW - I love the idea - was thinking the Bismark or something more epic like that :)

house

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Lead based paint was banned in the 70's. Most model kits come un-painted, and even if they we're painted it would be with lead free paint. Most, if not all kits are plastic = no rusting parts.
yea NOW stuff is like that he also said if anyone had any OLD stuff meaning vintage models and toys which WERE metal and had lead based paint. I'm not a model geek so I don't know what they are doing now but I know that what I said is true about the old toys and such. I also don't know if they even still make WW2 type of toys/models so it would probably have to be an older one. Atleast to look authentic.

The concept is cool I'm sure many peopel have thought of it before but I'm also sure there is a reason that you NEVER see it. Like Jim said I would go resin also..if you could find resin ornaments that would be ok to use. I actually have some of that stuff around I will check what I have.

rebelson

Shatter your reality
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
yea NOW stuff is like that he also said if anyone had any OLD stuff meaning vintage models and toys which WERE metal and had lead based paint. I'm not a model geek so I don't know what they are doing now but I know that what I said is true about the old toys and such. I also don't know if they even still make WW2 type of toys/models so it would probably have to be an older one. Atleast to look authentic.QUOTE]

Lead paint was banned in 1977 to be exact. Reason I know is because it pertains to my job. Even in the 70's model kits were made of plastic. And yes, WWII models are still being made today, but the price tag on certain models will make one think twice about adding one to a reef tank. My friend is a collector of WWII model replicas, thus the reason I know.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
:smash: Hey knucklehead I'm not saying all models are made of metal. The plastic ones were still painted with lead paint if they were pre 1977. He said models OR toys. He even asked about OLD stuff which any vintage toy back then was most likely metal, things were made better in those days. It doesn't just pertain to models I was more referring to the toys. World War 2 was 1939-1945 so from then until 1977 there was lead paint used so in that almost 40 year period I'm sure there was a TON of toys created this way. Even if lead paint wasn't used there is still the possibility of releasing phosphates and other potential problems. Regardless of all this though I'm just saying be careful what you put in your tank and know EXACTLY what it's made out of. That's all.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yea NOW stuff is like that he also said if anyone had any OLD stuff meaning vintage models and toys which WERE metal and had lead based paint. I'm not a model geek so I don't know what they are doing now but I know that what I said is true about the old toys and such. I also don't know if they even still make WW2 type of toys/models so it would probably have to be an older one. Atleast to look authentic.QUOTE]

Lead paint was banned in 1977 to be exact. Reason I know is because it pertains to my job. Even in the 70's model kits were made of plastic. And yes, WWII models are still being made today, but the price tag on certain models will make one think twice about adding one to a reef tank. My friend is a collector of WWII model replicas, thus the reason I know.

Banned in 1977 huh? tell that to these people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/business/worldbusiness/19toys.html

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I used a resin ship model in a QT that I had running for about six months. The link to the ship I used is below. Although I did not use it long term, the model did not have any adverse effect on the water chemistry IME. The only issue is that it would get covered in algae rather quickly. So if you want to keep the model looking clean and devoid of algae you will have to remove and clean it outside the aquarium. Just thought I would mention this since it will affect your aquascaping.

Also, I remember seeing many resin models of WWII era ships and planes in the DFS catalogue, but I don't see them on their website. They make them, you just have to find who sells them.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+3759+19758&pcatid=19758

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: