russ1976

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks to all who respond to the questions on this site. I learn someting more each time I log in...

Total newbie here, well I did do Marnine "fish only" back the day when UG filters were the way to go... (yeah I'm old)

Kids are about gone, figured maybe I can steal a spot for a tank again! I have access to a 60 gallon with stand and UV strip light, heater, cannister filter; basically for free.

Unfortunately my $ are limited, and to save up to have all the toys at the start will take me a long time.

Is is reasonable to set up the 60 (after I build internal overflow, and drill appropriately) with a 4-6" sand/live sand base. At the same time add a modest amount of live rock. The let it run for, well, until I can save enough for good lights? I plan on putting a smaller tank in the stand for a sump, add skimmer there, etc... as finances allow.

I'm patient, so 6 months sans "reef" inhabitants is no problem. Eventually I would like a few Zoonthids, and maybe a couple colorfull LPS to go with a Dragonette, and maybe a dwarf angel of some type.

My real question is if "live rock" can survive/flourish without the high end lighting systems?

Thanks!!!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
welcome to MR!

and yeah, the rock will be fine, but lots of the stuff that makes it live (and expensive) will probably not survive long term in really low light. if you are going to go that route, just buy some dry rock from marcorocks and save some cash...and you could use the cash you saved to buy a skimmer and ro unit from the get go ;)

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Two things to think about before you move forward if you plan on going with a 4" to 6" Dsb, you will find many different opinions about keeping such sandbeds. I am keeping a DSB but I have a low flow rate so I dont stir it up too much with flow but I also don't have any corals yet either and most Corals require a good flow rate. Next before you get a mandarin please be sure they have enough pods to eat in your tank and that it is not competing with another tank occupant for that food. Mandarins are not easy to keep if you do not have an established tank.

russ1976

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

If I ran an extra light fixture, and used plant grow bulbs (or similar on normal UV fixtrue), would that support Coraline Alge or other non coral life forms? Via the "Yard Sale" I can pick up extra light fixtures for just a couple bucks!

One final question. Back in the day it seemed every reef had a dozen or so power heads (slight exageration), even "wave makers". Is this still the way to go?

I'll hang up now and listen to the response off line. ;-)

Thanks again!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
The actinics might be enough to keep the coraline alive, but why not just buy a cheapo PC fixture either off MR or ebay. they are really quite cheap, and will save you from buying stuff now that you will just have to replace in a few months...

As for flow, it really depends what you want to keep, but make sure you have enough that detritus isn't just settling onto the rocks and sand...

If I ran an extra light fixture, and used plant grow bulbs (or similar on normal UV fixtrue), would that support Coraline Alge or other non coral life forms? Via the "Yard Sale" I can pick up extra light fixtures for just a couple bucks!

One final question. Back in the day it seemed every reef had a dozen or so power heads (slight exageration), even "wave makers". Is this still the way to go?

I'll hang up now and listen to the response off line. ;-)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

russ1976

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-5 add in FAMA Mag

Until I can afford better equipment, I've found an ad in FAMA for T-5's that seems kinda to good to be true...

By Aqua@#$.com (don't want to give free advert) they supposedly have a 4 bulb 48" T-5's with LED's and cooling fan for less than $100.

Anyone know if they are total junk? I've made arrangements to pick up my live sand and rock from a fairly local store (Not much local here), but similar lights would be 4-500$. Thanks!!!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Look around MR for a good deal on a fixture. spend $2-300 and you can get a nice fixture or retro from someone. a while ago i ran an odyssea pc fixture i got off ebay for about $100. it never burned my house down, but from what i have read i was among the lucky ones...$100 isnt a great deal if it torches your apartment ;)

Until I can afford better equipment, I've found an ad in FAMA for T-5's that seems kinda to good to be true...

By Aqua@#$.com (don't want to give free advert) they supposedly have a 4 bulb 48" T-5's with LED's and cooling fan for less than $100.

Anyone know if they are total junk? I've made arrangements to pick up my live sand and rock from a fairly local store (Not much local here), but similar lights would be 4-500$. Thanks!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: