loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
If you have experience with this, please post pros and cons. Also, if any of our vendors are carrying/ordering either PM me or post here. Kedd says he is using it and likes the results. His tank looks fantastic. I really believe that there is more to corals than lights and low nutrient water with great flow. Currently, I put cyclopeeze in a blender with some tank water and my DSB does provide some "finer foods". I'm looking for other nutritional options. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey chris there def. is alot more to corals then just light.. they need to eat to... oyster eggs are very good for corals since it is rather small and easy for the corals to :eat: up.... i havent used it yet but as you said kedd uses them and i have seen pics of his tank and his tank is awesome... i also no a couple of members on the board who use the oyster eggs and there corals are doing awesome as well..

I still have to pick up my oyster eggs from Ronen (deepwater) <-- he can get em for ya, and i will let you no how my corals take to it... right now im feeding my own home made food to my corals at night when lights are out... the corals are doing great...

Oyster Eggs as a Coral Food Source

One of the difficulties in the maintenance of reef aquaria is the ability to provide consistent, nutritious, and usable food resources that help to reproduce the large amount of particulate food or zooplankton available on natural reefs. Late in the summer of 2003, Dennis Tagrin, of DT’s Plankton Farm, provided me with a food source he had been considering as a marketable product and asked for my analysis of its utility for reef aquaria.Under the microscope, the cell density of the product was extremely high, and the addition of 1ml of the eggs produced a high particle count in a 55-gallon reef tank (sufficient to feed every coral polyp several times over!). The eggs are approximately 40-50 microns in size, making them an excellent size for capture by corals and other filter feeding invertebrates.These oyster eggs have a very good nutritional profile, and appear to maintain their nutritional value over long periods of frozen storage. The eggs have a strong “fresh-ocean” smell, and elicit a strong feeding response from both fish and invertebrates. I greatly look forward to the regular availability of this product as a natural and beneficial plankton-substitute for my other reef systems.
http://www.dtplankton.com/oystereggs/main.html

Last edited:

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
hey chris my apologies for missing diner...

the DT NR oyster eggs i bought was $17 for 30 ml.....
feeding at nite its rec dose is 1ml per 50gals...... i would need least 3 ml per feeding for 125gal wih overstocked tank...my corals were in feeding frenzy but thats 10 feedings for $17 too rich for me.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey Chris
I just started to use the oyster eggs and i have mostly LSP and Softies now ,so i cant say ..but if you want ot try some come by and ill give you half of my bottle to use or ill see if my suppliers can send me 1 or 2 more for you ,

Reefman .
I started to use phyto feast again (in my home made food) i feed that every other day ,i can see a big diff in my COCO Worm and feather dusters ,,but other wise my all my corals are super sized

I do have 2 bottles of phyto feast if you need ,$8 each

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Tony, good info. I got to see kedd's tank in person and it's amazing. I'm fortunate enough to now have some of his coral in my tank.
Mike, I'm thinking a few feedings every now and then is probably better than nothing. There is also a mix of food, so they don't have to get the expensive stuff every feeding. I still want to watch my nutrient load since as all of you know... I am the fish overfeeder.
Ronen, I've got a lot going on. I'll call you thursday.
Jim, I feed cyclopeeze after running it throught the blender. I bought a shaker cup specifically for me to mix my own protein shakes since I hate cleaning the blender. Looking for more variety and if it's a little easier, that's a plus.
Thanks guys, keep it comming.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
House of Laughter said:
Chris, have you considered Cyclopeeze? I feed that at night to my display and acros go nuts (softies get a good feeding as well).

I have some extra if you want to try it out. LMK,

House

Chris said
chris288 said:
Currently, I put cyclopeeze in a blender with some tank water and my DSB does provide some "finer foods". I'm looking for other nutritional options.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
ok DT's oyster eggs are 50Mu for a reason. The size of the oyster eggs are small enough for a SPS polyp to consume. NOw cyclopeez is a lot larger then oyster eggs this 1Ml your suppose to target the corals and feedi feel if you throw it all around 1ML is not nearly enough to keep all corals happy. THis product was used for SPS and not really LPS. LPS consumes planktonic life and SPS doesnt. that is why phyto and other things wont do jack for SPS.

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
spykes said:
ok DT's oyster eggs are 50Mu for a reason. The size of the oyster eggs are small enough for a SPS polyp to consume. NOw cyclopeez is a lot larger then oyster eggs this 1Ml your suppose to target the corals and feedi feel if you throw it all around 1ML is not nearly enough to keep all corals happy. THis product was used for SPS and not really LPS. LPS consumes planktonic life and SPS doesnt. that is why phyto and other things wont do jack for SPS.
thxs for the clearity D...

WaterPlant

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
spykes said:

So this size, 50Mu is small enough for my clams and scallops, right? Do clams and scallops consume oyster eggs which I believe should be considered as meat?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: