NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
exactly what I have controller dedicated reactor, reverse flow carbon reactor for effluent water from reactor.
when the controller shuts Ozone ( pre set redox value) reactor now works as an O2 reactor, win-win situtation

only way to go and no wasted O3

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
NYPDFrogman said:
first off you've now turned your skimmer into a O3 reactor rathere than a protien skimmer
O3 is known to improve the skimmer efficiency so I don't see anything wrong with that.

NYPDFrogman said:
second the skimmer isnt sealed so youre wasting ozone ( smell)
using Ozone in a pressurized reactor increases the efficency of the ozone
nothing is wasted into the ambiant air.
I've run ozone both ways using it in a reactor is a far more efficent way to use ozone safer too

Don't know what kind of skimmer you are running. My Barr Aquatics unit have built in O3 injection ports at each beckett head, the ozone is sucked into the skimmer and mixed with water, the skimmer body is pretty sealed and I never notice any smell in my fish room. I can't say anything to the efficiency as I don't know how to measure it.

NYPDFrogman said:
as far using it with out a contoller is hap hazard like pouring bleach right out of the bottle into the wash with out measuring it.

I guess you are right if you use that analogy and you have a small aquarium. However, I am running mine at 90ml per hour, which is significant less than the recommended dosage for my water volume, so effectively I am slow dripping bleach into my 600 gallon system, I don't see any harm in doing so..

NYPDFrogman said:
poeple often overlook the fact that stability is a very important aspect of reef keeping. the ocean is a very stabile enviorment and it's inhabitants generally do not take well to suddden change

I agree, that is why I am dosing small amounts of it. You never know when a Redox controller can go bad and dump 200ml of O3 in a tank for hours before anyone notice the smell.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
spykes said:
you should use o3 in a seperated reactor, because going through a skimmer will tremendously weaken the acrylic structure.

Where did you read this from?? I need to know because I am injecting in an acrylic skimmer and so every wholesaler I visited in LAX that uses K2R skimmers.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
cali_reef said:
Where did you read this from?? I need to know because I am injecting in an acrylic skimmer and so every wholesaler I visited in LAX that uses K2R skimmers.

For ozone to weaken acryllic would take a hell of a long time. Especially the Barraquatic skimmers. Brent Barr uses materials that do not react with the extra Oxygen molecule ie Ozone safe.

It always depends on the skimmer. Deltec also promotes the use of Ozone through the skimmer. I have also used Ozone through the skimmer in the past.

As far as using Ozone more efficiently, I dont need to because I can produce more than I need always.

As to the subject of Ozone leaking into the room etc. All you need is the smallest abount of Carbon and it will react with the Ozone quite effortlessly so poisoning the family is not going to happen. Not running the water exiting the skimmer through or over carbon can be risky. But even if a good amount of ozone does leach into your main tank you will immediately notice it on the gills of the fish.

There are plenty of Skimmers, both expensive or cheap that are not made using Ozone safe materials so all you have to do is ask your manufacturer. Even then before your acryllic goes bad the gaskets etc will give out or go brittle. On skimmers that are not built ozone safe just replace the rubber parts with silicone.

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started to use ozone a month ago, it makes the water crystal clear. However, I found skimmate collected from my protein skimmer droped to less than 10% of it used to be. The skimmer almost stops working.

Anyone has similar experience?

I am using Red Sea Ozonizer 200ML, and dosing 100ml constantly.

James

Tulasi

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to bump this up, but I was completely unaware that you could have ozone in a fish tank. I'm by no means an expert on this, but I work with Ozone daily, however on massive levels and in massive tanks (no i'm not sure how dangerous it can be with how you would use it on a reef tank). Personally, I don't think i would use it on a tank in my house but thats me. Ozone that leaks gives off an odd sweet smell to the air, it also sinks first, then raises as it fills the room. To people that may use it but haven't had a leak or don't know what it smells like. Like I said, if your thinking about using it , i would just do your homework real good on it first.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: