aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
lol dude. your skimmer seems to be working fine to me. You have to adjust the pipe to get the kind of skimmate you want. wet or dry. For the mesh. I have to check what I did at home but I am pretty sure I glued it on.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I would take the whole skimmer out and just run it through a vinegar bath.. make sure to check the airline like mentioned before. Check to be sure there's no gunk or salt spray/etc stuck in there. A good cleaning always helps things, in my experience.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The Marineland Utility pump is awesome. It's extremely quiet and has been running very well. It's not as good as, say, an Eheim or Tunze, but it's much better than the Quiet Ones, Rio's, or Mag Drives.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
From the picture of the skimmer body, it looks like your not getting enough air into the pump. There should be alot more bubbles in there. As suggested, take off the air line and the connector on the pump. I had a similar situation and it ended up being a big blockage in the stem.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My Oct X-160 took quite a while to break in. Well over a month. Until a few days ago, I had no fish in my 70G and I always produced a little bit of dark green skimmate. With 10 fish, something isn't right...

As a side note, a better option over mesh modding may be an upgraded pinwheel, especially for such a large tank.

The current hot pin wheel is the Warner Marine Red Demon:
WM-RPW.jpg

The Purple Pinwheel is also Popular:
PurplePinWheel_Sm.jpg

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My pin wheel is white... original one... After cleaning (although there was no clog or anything), skimmer seems doing a better job on 55g tank... yea, my 125 leaked and moved everything in 55g... i'm waiting for a new one... any brand/type suggestions? I'm thinking about Perfecto 125g.

My Oct X-160 took quite a while to break in. Well over a month. Until a few days ago, I had no fish in my 70G and I always produced a little bit of dark green skimmate. With 10 fish, something isn't right...

As a side note, a better option over mesh modding may be an upgraded pinwheel, especially for such a large tank.

The current hot pin wheel is the Warner Marine Red Demon:
WM-RPW.jpg

The Purple Pinwheel is also Popular:
PurplePinWheel_Sm.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: