MattW23

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g without a sump, and I've read that a refugium is the next best thing. I have a 5g tank that has been laying around and thinking I could set this up as a refugium. My question is what size pump/s would I need (how much current do I want)? I am assuming that this will require 2 pumps (one in-current & one out-current)? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Matt

MattW23

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I measured the glass of the 5g and it's about 1/8" thick, maybe it'll work. What size holes would you recommend getting cut? What exactly is the bulkhead? How do you connect the powerhead/pump to the pvc line going into the refugium? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I do this right. thanks again.
Matt
icon_confused.gif

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YMMV, but I don't recommend a pump inside a refugium. I think a lot of people will go along with me on this one. A pump or powerhead inside the refugium will probably chew up a lot of the critters you want growing in the refugium. Using an overflow or other gravity-powered way of getting the water back to the main tank lets "bugs" wash back into the main tank once in awhile - a nice treat for fish.

My system has a refugium that gets its water from a powerhead in the main tank, and is drilled and plumbed for a return. You might have trouble finding someone willing to drill the wall of a 5 gal, as the glass is pretty thin. If a local glass shop isn't willing to give it a shot, for $20 or $30 you should be able to pick up a 15 or 20 gal. Most places will be more comfortable drilling the thicker glass.

Another $6-10 for a bulkhead and a couple of bucks for PVC and fittings, and you're set.

My refugium has very little current, and everybody seems happier because of it. Most of the copepods, amphipods, worms, etc. that grow in the refugium don't need much current - just enough to bring them food and keep the water from going stagnant as far as I can tell. Plus, the return adds current to my main tank!

(The above is anecdotal evidence only. I have no solid scientific evidence to back it up. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a minijet in my refugium. The flow from the tank is set for a one hour turnover. This is so slow that a little circulation is necessary. I have pods, worms, shrimp, baby snails and everything I had before the pump. I would't worry about it if you think you need one.

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,
A bulkhead fitting is a specialized fitting that goes through the glass of your tank. You can see them in many fish stores. In the display tanks, they will have a sort of "strainer" in the back wall of the tank that goes into a PVC pipe through a hole in the back of the tank.

I use 1" bulkheads. They cost about $8 from my LFS.

The input to my refugium comes from a powerhead that has a piece of hose attached to it, with a j tube attached to the other end hooked over the wall of the refugium. The 1" outlet is placed higher than - and plumbed by pvc back to - the main tank. I'll try to get some pictures for you over the next few days... If you can't get hold of any bulkheads, we'll talk about getting you one along with the other stuff I'll be sending you...

As cwa46 points out, some people don't experience a problem with a powerhead in the refugium. I avoided it altogether, and haven't had any problems, aside from the caluerpa growing faster than I can take it out...

Just as there are a lot of ways to do things "wrong" in this hobby, there are lots of ways to do things "right".

Gerry

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon and I set up my smaller tank right beside it, but about 2 inches higher. Some of my water return goes to the smaller tank(refugium) and then I set up a siphon with 3/4" clear tubing. Anytime the level of the small tank is higher than the large tank, the water flows over. I got a 2 foot tube and shaped it into a half mooon. It acts just like another powerhead in the larger tank. Some of the snails cross back & forth, and 1 peppermint went over to find his girlfriend. I keep caulerpa in the smaller tank with less intense lighting than the bigger tank.

MattW23

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I've got the refugium ready to run, minus the lighting. I've seen a lot people using the 65w LOA, would this be a good set up for my 5 gal refuge?

Thanks for everyones reply
Matt

Roach

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good light would be one of those Mini-Might lights. They have 9 or 13 watts (PC) and you can also get them in double bulbs, one acintic or both whites. I have a double over my sump/refugium and it's been working great. It's more then enough for 5 gallons IMO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: