duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Hello ManhattanReefs

so I got my RO+DI Unit yesterday and I've already made few gallons of pure water
null_zps8ca3cc48.jpg

my question is:

how to replace all my tap water for RO+DI water ?
I have a 90G tank
should I make a;

1G daily ?
5G weekly ?
10G very 4 days?
20G monthly ?

thanks for your time, any input will be appreciated

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
me personally i would do a 50% water change weekly for a month which is alot to do. But if that is not for you, do a 20 gallon water change a week for a few months.

if you dont do a 100% water change you are diluting the water that you have previously used in your tank. I do not and never ever will recommend doing a 100% but i would definitely do a 50% water change a week for a month just my opinion. And then 20 gallon water changes for a while.

Last edited:

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
me personally i would do a 50% water change weekly for a month which is alot to do. But if that is not for you, do a 20 gallon water change a week for a few months.

I was thinking about it but after reading lnevo's reply I'm just gonna keep my routine because all my corals are doing fine :approve:

Do you have any issues with your existing water? Algae? Coral problems? If yes then do as large as you can handle otherwise i would just stick with your normal routine.

Thank you
honestly I don't have any problems with my water so I'm gonna stick with my normal routine

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What you are dealing with here is dilution.
The water you are going to start using will not have the contaminants that tap water has, however, those contaminants have been seeping into your rock and sand.
When you start using RODI that will start to disolve those out of the water, rock, and sand. It will take a long time to remove most of it but I would not do huge water changes. Just do a little more than your normal amount and maybe do them a little more often. If you do a huge water change with a completely different water you will stress a lot of your livestock.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
I say a 30% change first then regular routine is fine your now just adding better quality water. I would vac the change water from the sandbed. You been using tap water so what is there is gonna be there for the duration. Its in your sand its in your rocks and its in your coral. No problem and no need to stress. Each system is different.
I will say that now that you have ro/di make large water volume storage. Say 30 gallons. When you make small amounts the TDS is higher due to the initial push thru filters and the residual that's left.
Congrats! Now I gotta get mine and stop carting water from LFS!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you make small amounts the TDS is higher due to the initial push thru filters and the residual that's left.
Congrats! Now I gotta get mine and stop carting water from LFS!

I usually let me ro/di run for 10-15 minutes and discard the water if I didn't run it recently. Also, you should be checking your water with a TDS to make sure all your filters and membrane are good. You want 0 TDS, if my water is ever anything higher than 0, I don't use it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: