A

Anonymous

i got a staph infection once it started off as a small dot which opened up to these really nasty itchy sores. started on my thumb and i would get the same sore on most of my fingers on that hand it lasted about a month but did go away by itself though it scared me so bad i did go to the dr.i thought it was something else and it didnt accure to me until later this is before i switched over to saltwater completly and was due to a 20 gal freshwater tank.it is more commman then i thought .flounder i am real glad your baby was ok.

Ashley

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I am glad she is ok too. Apart from that, this is pretty interesting. Why would aquarium salt water pose more of a problem than an ordinary swim in the ocean? I assume the staph are on us to begin with and not in the aquarium, but other bugs? Is it because of the really high neutrient level? What are the implications for keeping our animals alive (maybe anemones eg can't handle this, as well as certain species of fish that are hard to keep)?

A

Anonymous

Don't worry, I still think it is much more likely I (we) got the staph at the hospital. It just never even occurred to me that my aquarium could pose a threat. Anyway I am now refraining from immersing the baby in the aquarium for weekly baptisms.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: