LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Days ago I heard a sudden bang like a gunshot that woke me up, jumped outta bed at 4am.

Didnt sound like any of my tanks but I couldnt sleep and luckily got back up to take 2nd looks with flashlight and saw the back of my QT was cracked.

Its only 20G and sounded so loud. the back was slashed right through from topleft to btmright, water dripping. I put my hand in the water and got the shock of my life! Somehow a flourescent tube had drop down to touching water level. If it was the 220V line I would be dead (we have 220V here in So Cal)

We didnt have any quake that I know of that days. I can only imagine for now, what its like for a bigger tank with live rock blocking most the back... one would likely not even find out til the whole tank collapse and water pours out.. maybe not even when it happen! Imagine that happening with a 55, 90 or 180G or larger?!? :bigeyes2:

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Consider yourself very lucky that you were only hit with stray current. Weather it is 110 or 220v doesn't matter, it only takes 500 milliamps (.5 amp) to kill a person.

Steven

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea man i really need to stop being slopping with electricity around my tanks from multiple extension cords, to makeshift hoods without a lens between water & tube, its a careless reefer fatality waiting to happen.

had the light strip dip down any further, the line voltage would have touch water instead of just endcaps' transformer lines - and id be dead

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: