Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know the basics of it, but i thought some other people would have good suggestions. how can i account for the jumping of the clam? how can i place it in a spot and ensure its happiness? anything would help.... anything about putting clams in your tank successfully would be most appreciated. :)

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
What type of clams are you looking to add or are you talking about clams you currently have in your tank?

how can i place it in a spot and ensure its happiness?
Observation ... if the clam is constantly trying to move from the spot you put it in, I think it's safe to say it is NOT happy.

how can i account for the jumping of the clam?
If the clam is going to jump because it decides it doesn't like the spot you have put it ... whether it be the clam doesn't have enough light, enough flow (or too much light and too much flow), not much you can do about it.

Researching the natural habitat of the individual species is also a plus! :D Where they are found in the wild ... and those conditions.

Here's some pretty decent info. Hope this helps.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f92/clam-faq-84096.html

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The clams that I currently have are 2 croceas and 1 derasa. As of now, I have the two croceas on the top rocks they are both attached fine. The first one I put in there attached to a smaller rock I had put it on, however the most recent clam, my second crocea did not attach to the smaller rock quite as well. I placed it in a nice crevice of my larger rocks, and it seems to be happy in its place. so, both the croceas are near the top under the spotlight of my evil par38's 20k with 40 degree optics. the third clam i have is a derasa and it is sitting in between two smaller rocks on my sandbed. they all seem happy and open and close everyday with no issues. they are also very sensitive to when my hand covers the light for a second which i am told is a sign of good health.

here is an earlier photo of my crocea about 2 weeks after i got it. the second crocea that i got is sitting where the hammer is in this photo now.

4-20-2011_6.jpg

this is the newest clam, sorry about the crappy photo its with my iphone. am i correct in thinking this is a crocea? i really hope so, otherwise im going to feel quite stupid...

_338134.jpg

here is my derasa although from the time this photo was taken, it has made a 90 degree turn although is still sitting in between those rocks. i am a little worried it might be attached to the bottom glass which would make moving it a real pain. This clam has also opened up much more since taking the photo.

4-20-2011_2.jpg

I don't plan on getting anymore, although I would love to. I've been monitoring my caclium very closely after I get each one to see if anything changes, but nothing yet.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Feb 26th:
Alk: 9.6 dKh
Calc: 390

Dosed 25 mL calcium
Added 1st crocea clam

March 5th:
Alk: 9.0 dKh
Calc: 400

5 gallon water change

March 24th:
Alk: 7.5 dKh
Calc: 400

Dosed 30 mL alkalinity
Dosed 10 mL calcium
Added fromia star

March 29th:
Alk: 10.2 dKh
Calc: 420

April 12th:
Alk: 12 dKh
Calc: 340

Dosed 10 mL alkalinity
Dosed 25 mL calcium
Added derasa clam

April 30th:
Alk: 8.8 dKh
Calc: 410

Added crocea clam

Now that I look at it on here, the numbers seem kind of all over the place, but kind of within reason. This is most likely because I don't dose daily...

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
usually what i tell people is test all 3 before wc, and then 4 or 5 hours after wc and see where wc put levels, and then dont dose for the whole week between ur wc and retest right before wc and figure what ur consumption is this will help to figure your daily dosage

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: