A

Anonymous

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
but when it comes down to it, its the same reefs that are getting raped for decoration. the reefs that walt smith and others hack corals off of will be the same reefs that "responsible" wholesalers get thier same corals from. responisble methods or not, it doesnt change the fact that there is a source being depleted, not only by the natives paving roads, building houses, collecting for the profit of themselves and the white guy who provided jobs to ignorant

I guess it boils down to whether or not you think the reefs and reef life is a renewable resource. If you do, then a decision must be made on the harvesting level. If you don't then you leave it alone. If the ocean is not a renewable resource then nothing should be taken from it. When it gets right down to it, there is not much difference between a butterfly fish and any food fish. It is harvested with the knowledge that it will die, but also it will provide some benefit for the end user. With the food fish the harvesting is done on the assumption that there will always be more. Is it any more cruel to provide a home for a species in the "obligate feeder" category for a short while than it is to eat swordfish or tuna? If the species is a truly renewable resource (i.e population is not diminished no matter the harvesting level). Just a consideration out of curiousity, assuming (as we know) that the ocean is a delicately balanced system, and knowing that man has been plundering it for many, many years, what would happen if man over-night completely stopped? Would there be massive disease outbreaks and lots of starving fish from lack of food?

{DISCLAIMER: these aren't neccessarily my views, just providing fodder for the discussion.}

Glenn
icon_biggrin.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh, didn't want to distract others on this very interesting subject....

Yeah, thanks to leonard, I figured out how to change my name, even my mom doesn't know how to do that!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Why the name change you havn't done anything wrong.

That I don't understand either. Apparently, someone has already decided to flame me:
(hippo being hit) Yet, I really don't know why or what I did?
icon_confused.gif

loosbrew

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rover,
I dont eat seafood of anykind other than the occasional seaweed, so i would have to agree with the "dont take anything from the ocean" train of thought. i dont feel that it is a renewable source, as is trout, catfish and other farm raised food fish. personally, i dont eat any animal, but ecologically, i would eat a hundred cows and chickens before i order shrimp or a fish sandwich.

loosbrew

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to ease your mind, there are many many species of marine life that are being farmed commercially, Cods of various species, abalone, shellfish of all kinds, shrimp (yes, both the saltwater and brackish water types), crabs, sheephead, eels, and even various types of algae, seaweed, not to mention fishes that are not farmed, but protective measures have been instituted and is making a huge comebacks.

I also feel the sea is a renewable resources, just the regulation must be instituted to provide protective measures against depletion. Effective regulations must be setup to ensure long term survival of the intended species.

flameangel1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary,,
Please do not let this "propaganda" crap get you down!!
Why on earth wouldn't responsible hobbyists/retailors/breeders/govt.etc. WANT to know what goes on behind the scenes with this hobby?

To anyone who does NOT know who and what Mary stands for and what kind of person she is, I will tell you that in the 8 years I have known her, she has the LOUDEST voice for ethical,sustainable collection of saltwater animals etc than almost any other person in this industry !!!!
She stands up for what she believes and by this forum, she can , hopefully, get more people to learn what is behind getting that "pretty fish".

We should be grateful she has taken the time to moderate this forum!!!
I can vouch for the fact that it is NOT an "ad" for her business, but a genuine trying to improve this hobby.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reefer who is really concerned about what I see wrong with the industry, I am very open to understanding what is happening so that corrective action can be taken quickly before everything is lost.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: