DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
what size tank?
How much did you dose?
Did you read about vodka dosing before doing it (i mean thoroughly reading about it)?
Have you tried to lower your nitrates in other ways before resorting to vodka?

Further information would help :)

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
90 gallon tank,0.2 vodka yes i read about it and tried water changes and less food i just ordered an rodi anything else i should try

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have 1 clown tang,1 kole tang,1 hippo tang all about 3'' 1 six line,2 clowns, 3 chromis,1 sand sifterand i just added a copper band butterfly for aiptasia removal

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There are 4 different things I tried to lower my nitrates besides the RO/DI. Removing the bio-balls and a better skimmer for sure made a big difference for me.

1.-My tap water has arounbd 20ppm of nitrates so I had to go with a RO/DI system.
2.-My skimmer was not performing as expected. It was a cheap good for nothing Current USA. I got an Octopus 200 and WOW what a difference.
3.-I removed the bio-balls. They short-circuit the nitrogen cycle.
4.-I added a refugium with Cheato and Mangroves. I do not think this is doing much honestly. My cheato is not growing much in 4 months although the mangroves are thriving; however they will not take much nutrients. slow growers and only 10 of them.

My nitrates are 0 or not detectable now. Do not overfeed!

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you don't have enough money for a refugium, r.o. unit, just buy nitrate absorber(Kent nitrogen sponge) that you can put in the filter, or float a basket of some sort and put some caulerpa in it. If you're using tap, don't recommend too much w/c. A bottle of vodka is not cheap either.

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an oct 200 skimmer and it pulls alot of grap out and i just purchased a ro/di unit i will do a water change i made 30 gallons of water i tried the kent sponge put it in a canister filter for 48 hrs and did not change anything if i remove the bio balls what do i put in its place? I have a wet dry filter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: