taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I got a 65gal reef tank. Fairly new at 2 months old. After doing a tank calculation, between water and LR displacement I end up with around 49 gal of water. Is a 5 gal weekly water change overkill? If I'm figuring this right that should be around 20% a month of water changes. Oh and I ONLY use RODI water for top off and my water changes.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Also keep in mind that if your tank is a 65 gallon AGA, the "65 gallons" is based on the outside dimensions and rounded up. It's actually closer to 50 gallons of water volume if completely empty of rock and filled to the very top.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article35.html

That being said, water changes are good! At one point I was doing 5 gallon water changes every day on my 58.

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Also keep in mind that if your tank is a 65 gallon AGA, the "65 gallons" is based on the outside dimensions and rounded up. It's actually closer to 50 gallons of water volume if completely empty of rock and filled to the very top.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article35.html

That being said, water changes are good! At one point I was doing 5 gallon water changes every day on my 58.
I think my tank is a perfecto. Not sure how their demensions and water capacity add up. So in actuality with LR and LS displacment I have even less than 50 gal of water in my tank?

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
One of the best things I did for my 120,Is build a auto water changer.I have it set to replace approx. 1.75 gal per day.I mix up a batch once a month and sit back and let the timers,relays,and pumps do the work.
Worth every penny...

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey Reefnut. You actually do an automatic water change every day? Doesn't that take out alot of what you dose into the tank? Do you dose? How do you suplement the tank with food and trace elements for your corals?

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Auto water changer details

Two pumps,Two timers

Ihave a 55g mixing/storage/ container located in basement.
CIMG0171.jpg

I use a Mag7 to mix salt.I set seperate timer for 6 hours.
Turn valves to transfer to tank.I wanted to send approx. 1.5-1.75.Using 1/2 dia.tubing,but way to fast.Less than a min.

CIMG0351.jpg

I reduced tubing down to 1/4.Set timer for 5 min=1.75g.
If water level get to high for some reason a float swich kills this pump and turns on red led.When container is empty,second float kills pump and turns on same led.When pump is on green led is lit.

CIMG0353.jpg

A second timer set to turn on same time but different pump.I'm using an aquamedic dosing pump to 'suck' the water up and out to my skimmer drain line which goes to house drain.I have that timed to about 2.5 hours.The suction line to that pump is set to the normal sump level.When it reaches that point it sucks air.

CIMG0352.jpg

The only thing I dose is Kalkwasser.which is on auto top off.Similar but different system.I've had very good results with both.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: