fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have an AGA black pine stand which seems to be covered in a semi-gloss finished black paint. I purchased some Rustoleum "American Tradition" interior/exterior spray paint from Lowes which I was going to use to repaint both it and a DIY canopy. I purchased the Satin finish but I was wondering if others were using semi-gloss or even gloss. I'm not a fan of the glossy paints except for trim work.

Is there something better that I should be using? I know jack about wood working so please feel free to educate.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Fritz, I've always used Rustoleum on my canopies, and stands. No issue ever. I use the "ROLLERLite" rollers to paint. I only wish they had a satin finish. I even painted the glass with it. This time I used and outdoor white satin finish paint on the inside of the canopy.

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have an AGA black pine stand which seems to be covered in a semi-gloss finished black paint. I purchased some Rustoleum "American Tradition" interior/exterior spray paint from Lowes which I was going to use to repaint both it and a DIY canopy. I purchased the Satin finish but I was wondering if others were using semi-gloss or even gloss. I'm not a fan of the glossy paints except for trim work.

Is there something better that I should be using? I know jack about wood working so please feel free to educate.

I like marine paints like Interlux Brightside and Pettit Easypoxy.

They are polyurethane paints that can deal with alot of moisture.

lmk if you have any question about the paints

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manny, I'm building a stand for my new 90 gallon reef. I was curious about the Interlux paint...how long does it take to cure and how bad are the fumes. I have no choice other than to paint in my living room. Hate to have to keep the windows open for days in February. Also, do you need to prime raw wood first?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If its good enough for Ke$ha....

bowls-4.jpg

nuff said!!!

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i wouldn't use a spray paint indoors, because of the fumes and you will have paint residue on every thing.
you can use any exterior quality paint. i think rustoleum is intended for use on metal.
i would use a satin finish, gloss will show any voids in the wood. binz primer is good to seal and prime first.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: