AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm finally getting ready to set up my quarantine tank. I was going to go with the Green Chromis but I've read a few articles/posts saying that they are not as hardy as they are perceived to be. Apparently, they do not travel well?? Anyway, I've read that I should go with Clowns, Watchman Gobies.
I'm running a 125 gallon FOWLR. Will be looking to get into corals in about 6 months to a year.

I'm in the field a lot for work so I don't have the time to worry about specialized diets right now. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

What do you think would be the best beginner fish for me?

Thanks everyone!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Are these fish going into your 125 and you are going to QT them first...correct?

Standard Damsels should be avoided as they are nasty.
For most folks Chromis tend to kill each other off until there is only 1 left :(

Fish that are more cast iron and more forgiving for those who want/need easier fish are clowns (percs & ocellaris), watchman gobies (make sure your rocks start on the bottom of the tank and not placed on TOP of your sand-bed), Fairy Wrasses are all good. There are other wrasses that are easy care fish, but you'd need to read up on each one first.

Also make sure you have a net COVER on the tank :)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fairy wrasses can be frustrating for beginners...if you have ANY space open on your tank, no matter how narrow, they WILL eventually jump out. It may take a year, they may jump the day after you buy it. Very heartbreaking for anyone, especially a newbie. Of course, if your tank is completely covered, every bit, they are fun fish. You can't go wrong with ocellaris clowns...try to get at least 3, and don't splurge on a fancy variety...get the ordinary, cheap variety. Don't be tempted by maroon or tomato clowns...while they are equally hardy, they are bastards and you will eventually regret it. I'd also go for yellow tailed blue damsels...they are less aggressive and stay smaller than the plain blue damsels, and are very hardy. Avoid any of the striped or domino damsels....too aggressive. Another good beginner fish is the royal gramma. While it is terrtorial, your tank is big enough for it to stake out its small territory without bothering other fish. Whatever you do, do not be tempted to splurge on an expensive fish. All these fish are among the cheapest of salt water fish, and are equally as pretty as the expensive ones. Once you have upped your level of expertise, you can try something more risky to your wallet.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Stick to damsels they are cheaper if you lose them in a tank that's NEW and NOT STABLISHED. Wrasses aren't a beginner's fish in my experience as they have a little more demanding diet and cost a little more. My 2 cents.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Damsels and clowns. That's the standard for begginners

Thanks for the quick reply Gabe! My only concern with Damsels is I hear that they are aggressive towards other fish and everything I've read says that an aggressive fish should not be introduced first. I guess because they will become territorial and hurt newcomers. I've even heard that clowns can be aggressive as well.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Are these fish going into your 125 and you are going to QT them first...correct?

Standard Damsels should be avoided as they are nasty.
For most folks Chromis tend to kill each other off until there is only 1 left :(

Fish that are more cast iron and more forgiving for those who want/need easier fish are clowns (percs & ocellaris), watchman gobies (make sure your rocks start on the bottom of the tank and not placed on TOP of your sand-bed), Fairy Wrasses are all good. There are other wrasses that are easy care fish, but you'd need to read up on each one first.

Also make sure you have a net COVER on the tank :)

Thanks Kathy! Yes, the plan is to QT them for 6 weeks minimum before placing them in my display. I already have the sponge filter sitting in my sump waiting to seed the QT tank. I've read the same thing about the clowns and gobies so I may go that direction. Funny because i really wanted clowns but was afraid of killing them, which is why I was looking at the Chromis as my first fish. :)

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Fairy wrasses can be frustrating for beginners...if you have ANY space open on your tank, no matter how narrow, they WILL eventually jump out. It may take a year, they may jump the day after you buy it. Very heartbreaking for anyone, especially a newbie. Of course, if your tank is completely covered, every bit, they are fun fish. You can't go wrong with ocellaris clowns...try to get at least 3, and don't splurge on a fancy variety...get the ordinary, cheap variety. Don't be tempted by maroon or tomato clowns...while they are equally hardy, they are bastards and you will eventually regret it. I'd also go for yellow tailed blue damsels...they are less aggressive and stay smaller than the plain blue damsels, and are very hardy. Avoid any of the striped or domino damsels....too aggressive. Another good beginner fish is the royal gramma. While it is terrtorial, your tank is big enough for it to stake out its small territory without bothering other fish. Whatever you do, do not be tempted to splurge on an expensive fish. All these fish are among the cheapest of salt water fish, and are equally as pretty as the expensive ones. Once you have upped your level of expertise, you can try something more risky to your wallet.

Thanks very much for all of the useful information! I have screen tops but unfortunately they are slightly raised at the back corners due to the wires from my Koralias. I'll definitely look into the other species you mentioned. Thanks again.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks very much for all of the useful information! I have screen tops but unfortunately they are slightly raised at the back corners due to the wires from my Koralias. I'll definitely look into the other species you mentioned. Thanks again.

If you make a small slice (just big enough to fit the plug through) you can run the plug through the netting and then 'tie' the hole back closed with those small cable ties. That will enable your cover to lay flat on the tank top :)

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

One more question. I noticed you suggested getting at least 3. I was concerned about bioload and adding too many fishes too quickly. Do yo think this will be an issue? Is your suggestion of 3 for compatibility reasons?

Thanks.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Clown are in the damsel family so yes they can be very aggressive. Six line wrass is an easy one as well as the Royal Gramma mentioned above. Pajama cardinals, firefish, and clown gobies are also easy.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Clown are in the damsel family so yes they can be very aggressive. Six line wrass is an easy one as well as the Royal Gramma mentioned above. Pajama cardinals, firefish, and clown gobies are also easy.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. Looks like i'm gonna go with with the clowns. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can purchase tank-bred clowns, preferably in the NJ area?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have 3 clowns, any aggression between them will be spread out. The dominant fish will become a female, and you may be able to get spawning action. This may be meaningless, but it seems to me that 3 is always the number that I heard was appropriate rather than 4 or more. Just 2 may lead to one getting picked on. ( Ocellaris clowns are generally not aggressive to other fish, just other clowns. I believe percula's are about the same, but they tend to be a little more expensive and differences in appearance are minimal.) Don't worry about bioload. 3 clowns in a 125 are easily supported even if full grown. While 6 line wrasses are hardy, they can be nasty, and can jump just like fairy wrasses. I've never had much luck with firefish..they are jumpers too, but are extremely shy fish that get easily stressed. However, I think in a 125 they could find a nice safe area to hide.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: