JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just finished looking at www.ultimatefrags.com and was wondering how do they come up with all these varieties of zoo's?

Do they see one zoo in their colony with an odd but attractive mutation in color and than they seperate it and let it reporduce. (i.e Darwin natural selection w/ human manipulation)

Anyone have any insight into how they go about getting all these artificial varieties?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Anyone have any insight into how they go about getting all these artificial varieties?

Most zoanthids available to hobbyist are either wild or aquacultured from wild varieties. There aren't many reports of zoanthids spawning in the home aquarium. Zoanthids in reef aquariums typically reproduce via splitting off "babies" of themselves. IMO, the only ways a reefer can manipulate the colors of a zoanthid is through lighting and nutrient levels in the aquarium. Therefore, I believe all the differing varieties are "natural" and genetically encoded into each polyp.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i agree w/ deanos. They are not artificial people just come up w/ names for the extraordinary. I'll let u in on a little secret. Many of the fancy zoas only look amazing under actinics and macro lense.

You probably wouldn't look twice at many of them w/ a naked eye under 10k lighting.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Really? I thought it was conceptually similar to possibly dog breeding, where they are using an animal with a particular physical trait (big ears, small stature, coloration) and isolating these traits inorder to creat a whole different looking breed over time with selective breeding, but in an asexual manner.

For example if you have a full rock with polyps and remove one with a distinct color that seems different than the mother colony. This would split and possible reproduce more with that trait that was formally viewed as a mutation and so on.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Dogs are bred using 2 sets of genes to produce unique offspring (sexual reproduction). For the most part, zoanthids reproduce asexually, meaning the offspring will be identical to the "mother" polyp. Mutations do occur and would produce a new "variety". Reefers haven't been able to purposely cause these mutations.

budman0418

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
zoo

I think i see what you getting at. Your saying that one zoo in a colony could look alittle different then the rest. now you frag out that one zoo and see if it will spawn into an exact copy then again and again till you have a colony of zoos the same, but looking different frim the oringinal colony you took it from. I think that could be possible RARE but possible.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0

Hard to tell with the crappy cameraphone pic but look to the left of the bab bam

15-02-08_1235.jpg

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most zoanthids available to hobbyist are either wild or aquacultured from wild varieties. There aren't many reports of zoanthids spawning in the home aquarium. Zoanthids in reef aquariums typically reproduce via splitting off "babies" of themselves. IMO, the only ways a reefer can manipulate the colors of a zoanthid is through lighting and nutrient levels in the aquarium. Therefore, I believe all the differing varieties are "natural" and genetically encoded into each polyp.

+1 (I know Rommel, he's not breeding them ;) )

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I must say tho, the colors of the stuff I got from Rommel look like the pics from his site after I changed to T5 actinics Plus bulbs from a power compact fixture. It's all about the lighting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: