E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
When a zoanthid or polyp extends toward the surface, usually IME it's due to a low light condition... I don't think that's the case here though.

Currently most of my zoanthids are reaching toward the light, no matter where they're placed. (Two exceptions... Red People Eaters and a very small yellow unnamed zoanthid).

Some details about my tank:

-Drilled 40 breeder that's been set up since early spring (I think about 6 months).
-250 watt Radium and PC actinic supplemental lighting.
-SRO 1000int skimmer.
-Good flow (return plus 2x Tunze 6025's pointed at each other so it's somewhat random).
-ATO system w/ 2 part.
-Carbon Rx w/ GFO + Carbon changed monthly.
-10% weekly water changes w/ RO/DI.

Metal Halide is about 14 inches above the water in a canopy. Bulb's brand new (about 1 week old)... I thought it may be due to an old bulb, but the zoas are acting the same.

My testing hasn't revealed anything obvious:

-Zero nitrites/ammonia
-Undetectable Nitrates (API test kit, so I doubt it's really zero... and there's some film algae growth lately but nothing crazy which is slowly being taken care of).
-pH is 8-8.1 range.
-I can't remember what the mag reading was (think it was 1200... I'll have to check my notes and post back)
-Kh was a bit low for about 1 week or so (at 6)... but usually it's higher and w/in normal range. (I don't think this is the issue b/c they've been 'reaching' longer than a month or so, and I only recently had the KH drop).
-I don't have a Hanna meter so I can't get a reliable phosphate reading (I don't trust any 'test kits' for phosphate).

...All above using either Salifert or API.

As for other ideas..... There's no nipping or predators that I can see. My other corals (even some SPS) are doing fine.

Not sure exactly why the zoas are reaching out.. any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :eek:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'd be more concerned if they were in the neighborhood of an inch.
Are they growing like a dome with the taller ones in the center of the colony? That would be ok.

Posting the pic can't hurt:)

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Some are close to an inch. Some are a quarter of an inch. They're not in a dome shape yet. I really don't have large enough colonies for them to do that. Mostly groups of 5-10 polyps

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
i wouldnt worry about it zoas are like most other gems of the reeef some require low light while others require higher positioning i have aton of different zoas in my tank and with trial and error along with help from fellow reefers have come too know my zoas and what type of lighting they like but in the end its hard too make every1 happy i have some that extend and others that dont its when they dont poylp when u should worry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: