• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

twistedteq

Advanced Reefer
Count me in for a group buy. I was just speaking to Michael yesterday about a squamosa clam he has that i'm interested in. He's located out in Southold. I'd be more than willing to drive out and pick them up. Anyone that wants to come along for the drive is more than welcome. It's about a 2 hour drive from me. I could use the company.

inked

Advanced Reefer
Picked up 2 clams and a couple of other things from mike yesterday. They are awesome and prices are amazing well worth the trip or shipping cost.

Attachments

• Picture 297 (Large).jpg
    Picture 297 (Large).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 227
I went to Michael today....as my son will be going back to the city and will take everything back and acclimate them. He has a huge number of clams, at astounding prices. All the large clams, mainly squamosa, (which had shells 6-8" long) were $59. All the "small" clams (none less than 3", most about 4-4.5") were $35.....a few squamosa, but mostly spectacular crocea's and some gold maxima's. We got a squamosa (my favorite was already sold) and a crocea. He bagged them up with oxygen, and gave us a free red (linckia?) star. This guy has a real day job, (like us) so he is available on weeknights and weekends...(like us) and yes, he does ship. He is out in Southold (90 min drive from NYC), right on Horton's Lane, which puts him only a short distance from my favorite Sound fishing spot, McCabes Beach. Anyone who wanted to make a daytrip out of it could also hit the vineyards and do some fishing....as well as collecting fresh healthy gracillaria and Ulva at the beaches, along with reef hardy Ilynassa ("Nassarius") snails, and not-so-reef hardy little hermits.

Ilyanassa obsoleta are what was formerly Nassarius obsoletus. They are obviously not Nassarius, but are in the same group and perform the same functions in a reef ecosystem as Nassarius. When I discussed the issue with Ron Shimek, his objection was simply that they would die in a warm system....but I have found that they survive for years.They are scavengers, climbing the glass and burying in the sand, emerging as soon as they detect food in the water. I have kept Ilyanassa snails in my reef systems for over 10 years without problems, and are excellent clean-up snails. They survive for years...as intertidal organisms they are adapted to wide swings in salinity and temperature, and can even be added to a reef tank without acclimating. Yes, they are hosts for the cercariae that cause swimmer's itch, however these parasites cannot survive full strength ocean salinity. While I occasionally do get swimmers itch when I wade in the creeks while fishing, it is only a) on an outgoing tide, and b) after heavy rains have added fresh water to the tidal system. FWIW, the sg in these tidal creeks is usually about 1.017, while my reef system is kept at 1.126. I have never had issues from these snails in my tank, and, as I've said, I have been using them for well over a decade.

inked

Advanced Reefer
I use the snails myself and they are great little guys and best of all free. The hermits i also have a few off and they have actually taken care of a little bubble algae that i had on a frag (yeap see it with my own eyes lol). They havent bothered anything that i have seen and mainly stay on the sand bed I use the smaller ones rather then some of the monsters you come across.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: