Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
4-5 inches? i wanted to start with a smaller one. like 2-3 inches. think they have any in that size? and yes i know they could crack tanks, which is why he's going into a acrylic aquarium. don't wanna wake up to some horrific surprize.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
aaron23 said:
i dont think they can go as far enoughas to crack your tank... Maybe try to crack your tank atleast?

they most certainly cant break glass. Animal planet had it on one of their shows. Showed a mantis shrimp waking a piece of glass and in one shot it shatered. but I do believe that they can only do that with certain thickneses.

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
um..Yes they can break glass are you kidding me..LOL...i would go with an acrylic tank...even if your mantis shrimp gets to know you...if you make it nervous...pop goes your tank..i had one..with an cheap glass heater in it..broke it in 2 secs...better do your research before you get one..bad idea with an glass aquarium..

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The Fish Tank on Route 46 sells decent size Mantis Shrimp. But it's very expensive, $60. I think you can talk them down the price since that Mantis saw in there for long time.

I saw FT was selling small Mantis for $20 but I didn't see it recently, it was like 2 months ago.

Go to Reefcentral and go to Mantis section, sometime people just want shipping cost to get ridoff their mantis.

Goodluck and get acrylic tank.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think Tampa Bay Saltwater sells some beautiful Mantis Shrimp for $50 shipped. Or if you are selling up new tank, get LR from TBS, it's good chance that you'll get Mantis Hijacker.

Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
thanks for all the feedback guys. i saw fish tank and yes it's a cool mantis, but $60!! too much. i'll check the tampa bay saltwater place thanks again everyone

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: