What is your optimal Reef temp?

• Total voters

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
What is your desired optimal temp for your reef, year round?
(Not considering summer/winter or electric demands)
If you could have it set any any temp, what would it be?

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
FWIW, i have my temp set at 76 (no chillers, and 3x400W MH) - i did notice that my growth has slowed dramaticly at this temp and am raising it back up. i am currently at 77 and want to raise it ultimately back up to 83 (to allow a max swing to 84 before my lights shut).

my room temp even in the summer does not get high as it is in my living room which is air-conditioned anyway. (so if the room is at 73, it is still 10 degrees below the tank temp). I have never seen my tank 10 degrees above my room temp (without the help of a heater).

I was just reading in "Aquarium Corals" that he actually prefers a warmer temp as well to promote growth and metabolic activity. When i get home tonight, i can post up what he says, but i remember him suggesting 80-84 and commenting something along the lines of: corals kept in warmer tanks, would be better able to withstand higher heat swings than corals adapted to lower temp tanks.

a similar idea from Ron Shimek's article The Great Temperature Debate:
"I would worry about prolonged (several days- couple of weeks) temperatures above 90 deg. One thing, if your system has been normally kept at 82-84, the organisms in it will be a lot more tolerant of the higher temperatures than if they have been kept in the cold (75-80)."

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Deanos said:
Albert, other than the poll, how is this thread different from Kimoyo's? I see you even posted your information there then deleted it. :scratch:

Wait.gif

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
well mainly the poll (i dont think i can add a poll to the other thread).
Also, i am curious as to what is the best temp for the reef (not neccesarily what is the cheapest/easiest temp to maintain)

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
alrha said:
I was just reading in "Aquarium Corals" that he actually prefers a warmer temp as well to promote growth and metabolic activity. When i get home tonight, i can post up what he says, but i remember him suggesting 80-84 and commenting something along the lines of: corals kept in warmer tanks, would be better able to withstand higher heat swings than corals adapted to lower temp tanks.
here it is:
Aquarium Corals, by Eric Borneman - pg 348.
"(Anecdotal reports by home aquarists suggest that corals normally kept at 79F may bleach at temperatures above 84F, while those normally maintained at 84F may not bleach until the water exceeds 90F)."

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
78, Not too hot, not to cold.
Some corals are hardier than we give them credit.
:link:
most tropicaol regions have the worst type of storms, yet manage to thrive.... water is a power element. ( sorry, I got a bit of topic)
:backtotop

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
haha jon...IMO, that manufact. has a a#$-backward way to label the "out" as the tank temp and the "in" as the room temp...lol

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
froggiebunbun said:
haha jon...IMO, that manufact. has a a#$-backward way to label the "out" as the tank temp and the "in" as the room temp...lol

I think they are buying already made lcd's, and they are just slaping there name and fish logo's on it. :Blurp:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: